Increasing AC Mains Current to 1-2 A for Physics Lab Expt.

In summary, the conversation discusses using a transformer or an amplifier to manually obtain a current of 1-2A from the AC mains, which only has a feeble current of around 30 mA. The voltage and type of current needed for the experiment are not specified. There is also confusion about the significance of 30mA and 120Vrms.
mkbh_10
In my physics lab , we do our expt. : analysis of HYSTERESIS curve which requires a current of 1-2 A to magnetise the solenoid , now we have a ready made instrument for getting that value of current .

So what could i do manually in order to get that magnitude of current from AC mains which has a feeble current of around 30 mA.

Physics news on Phys.org
use a transformer, or an amplifier.

mkbh_10 said:
In my physics lab , we do our expt. : analysis of HYSTERESIS curve which requires a current of 1-2 A to magnetise the solenoid , now we have a ready made instrument for getting that value of current .

1-2A at what voltage? AC or DC?

mkbh_10 said:
So what could i do manually in order to get that magnitude of current from AC mains which has a feeble current of around 30 mA.

What do you mean by 30mA? You only have 30mA at 120Vrms available (why?), or you only need 30mA at some AC or DC voltage (what voltage?) for some variation on the experiment?

berkeman said:
1-2A at what voltage? AC or DC?

What do you mean by 30mA? You only have 30mA at 120Vrms available (why?), or you only need 30mA at some AC or DC voltage (what voltage?) for some variation on the experiment?

Dude, if he doesn't know V=IR, why would he know what 120Vrms meant?

1. How can I safely increase the AC mains current to 1-2 A for a physics lab experiment?

In order to safely increase the AC mains current, you will need to use a variac transformer. This device allows you to gradually increase the voltage and current, ensuring that the circuit is not overloaded or damaged.

2. What is the purpose of increasing the AC mains current for a physics lab experiment?

The purpose of increasing the AC mains current is to conduct experiments that require higher current levels. This can help to generate stronger magnetic fields, produce more heat, or power larger devices.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when increasing the AC mains current?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety measures when working with high currents. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to use proper equipment and to never exceed the recommended current levels.

4. Can I use a regular power outlet to increase the AC mains current?

No, it is not recommended to use a regular power outlet for increasing the AC mains current. These outlets are typically limited to 15-20 amps, which is not enough for the desired 1-2 A current. Using a variac transformer is a safer and more efficient option.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with increasing the AC mains current?

Yes, working with high currents can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. There is a risk of electric shock, burns, and damage to equipment. It is important to carefully follow safety guidelines and to have a trained professional supervise the experiment.