Determine whether or not something is a subspace

• Thread starter kesun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, a subspace is a set of vectors in Rn that satisfies two conditions: (1) the sum of any two vectors in the set is still in the set, and (2) any scalar multiple of a vector in the set is also in the set. Additionally, the solution set of a homogeneous system is always a subspace. However, the set S=\{(x_1,x_2,x_3)|x_1x_2=0\} is not a subspace of R3 because it fails to satisfy the first condition. The set {x\inR5 | ||x||2 \geq 0} is a subspace of R5 because it satisfies both conditions.
kesun
I guess this kind of topic should belong here. :|

My understanding of the subspace still isn't solid enough, so I want to know what I know so far is at least correct.

By definition, a set of vectors S of Rn is called a subspace of Rn iff for all vectors (I will call them x):
1) (x+y) [tex]\in[/tex] S and
2) kx [tex]\in[/tex] S.

Also, the solution set of a homogeneous system is always a subspace.

When I encounter problems such as determine whether or not {(x1,x2,x3)|x1x2=0} is a subspace of its corresponding Rn, I would approach this problem as such:

Since the set has only three vectors, then it's in R3, first of all; then I check for 1): Suppose a set of vectors Y {(y1,y2,y3)|y1y2=0}, then (S+Y)=x1x2+y1y2=0+0=0; for 2): kS=(kx1)(kx2)=(k0)(k0)=0. Therefore it is a subspace of R3.

Is my way of solving this problem correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
kesun said:
I guess this kind of topic should belong here. :|

My understanding of the subspace still isn't solid enough, so I want to know what I know so far is at least correct.

By definition, a set of vectors S of Rn is called a subspace of Rn iff for all vectors (I will call them x):
1) (x+y) [tex]\in[/tex] S and
2) kx [tex]\in[/tex] S.

So far so good...

Also, the solution set of a homogeneous system is always a subspace.

The equations also need to be linear.

When I encounter problems such as determine whether or not {(x1,x2,x3)|x1x2=0} is a subspace of its corresponding Rn, I would approach this problem as such:

Since the set has only three vectors, then it's in R3, first of all;

You mean the vectors have three components. The set contains an infinite number of vectors.

then I check for 1): Suppose a set of vectors Y {(y1,y2,y3)|y1y2=0}, then (S+Y)=x1x2+y1y2=0+0=0; for 2): kS=(kx1)(kx2)=(k0)(k0)=0. Therefore it is a subspace of R3.

Is my way of solving this problem correct?

No, the set [tex]S=\{(x_1,x_2,x_3)|x_1x_2=0\}[/tex] is not a subspace. Try finding [tex]x,y\in S[/tex] such that [tex]x+y[/tex] is not an element of S.

OHHH DAMN! Is it that (x1+y1)(x2+y2) = x1x2+y1x2+x1y2+y1y2? No that definitely ain't the subspace of it..! Am I correct about that?

Be concrete. v1=(1,0,0) is in the subspace, and so is v2=(0,1,0). Is v1+v2?

Oh, I see. I may need to confirm a few more examples to be sure that I am apply this theorem correctly.

Now suppose {x[tex]\in[/tex]R5 | ||x||2 [tex]\geq[/tex] 0}. First of all, it concerns R5. Since ||x|| is the norm of the vector, which is the same thing as the distance of the vector, so it will always be greater or equal to 0. Since this does not require the outcome to be a specific value(like it did in the previous one, which was 0), is it safe to conclude that this is a subspace of R5?

Unless I'm misunderstanding your notation, for ANY vector x in R^5, ||x||^2>=0. So your subspace is ALL of R^5.

Dick said:
Unless I'm misunderstanding your notation, for ANY vector x in R^5, ||x||^2>=0. So your subspace is ALL of R^5.

That's exactly how it stated in this book..So this IS a subspace of R5, right?

R^5 is a subspace of R^5. Sure.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three conditions: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under vector addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, a subspace is a set of vectors that can be combined and scaled without ever leaving the original space.

2. How do you determine if something is a subspace?

To determine if something is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies the three conditions mentioned above. First, make sure that the zero vector is included in the set. Then, check if any two vectors in the set can be added together to create a new vector that is also in the set. Finally, check if any vector in the set can be multiplied by a scalar and still remain in the set. If all three conditions are met, then the set is a subspace.

3. Can a subspace have a dimension different from its parent space?

Yes, a subspace can have a different dimension from its parent space. For example, a subspace of a three-dimensional space could be a two-dimensional plane within that space. The key is that the subspace must still satisfy the three conditions mentioned above in order to be considered a subspace.

4. Can a subspace have an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a subspace can have an infinite number of vectors. For example, a subspace of a two-dimensional space could be a line that extends infinitely in both directions. As long as the subspace satisfies the three conditions, the number of vectors it contains does not matter.

5. How can I prove that something is a subspace?

To prove that something is a subspace, you need to show that it satisfies the three conditions mentioned above. This can be done by taking a general vector in the set and showing that it can be combined and scaled without ever leaving the set. Additionally, you can also show that the zero vector is included in the set. Once you have proven that all three conditions are met, you can conclude that the set is a subspace.