Probability - Tossing a coin, counting X heads, then tossing X more times.

In summary, the expected total number of heads generated by this process is 12.5. The variance of the total number of heads by this process is 2.5.
cse63146

Homework Statement

Suppose that tosses of a biased coin in which it comes up heads with probability 1/4 are independant. The coin is tossed 40 times and the number of heads X is counted. The coin is tossed X more times.

A) Determine the expected total number of heads generated by this process.
B) Determine the variance of the total number of heads by this process

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex] E[X] = \Sigma X_i P(X_i) [/tex]

and I tried to set it up using the binomial distribution (40CX = 40 "choose" X)

[tex](40CX)(1/4)^X (3/4)^{40 - X} + (XCn)(1/4)^n (3/4)^{X - n)[/tex]

I really got no clue on what to do. Any help would be greately appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cse63146! :smile:
cse63146 said:
Suppose that tosses of a biased coin in which it comes up heads with probability 1/4 are independant. The coin is tossed 40 times and the number of heads X is counted. The coin is tossed X more times.

A) Determine the expected total number of heads generated by this process.
B) Determine the variance of the total number of heads by this process

[tex](40CX)(1/4)^X (3/4)^{40 - X} + (XCn)(1/4)^n (3/4)^{X - n)[/tex]

Yes, your first expression is P(X heads in first 40),

and your second expression is P(n heads after that | X heads in first 40) …

to get expectation values, multiply the first one by X and add, and multiply the second one by … ? :smile:

So

[tex] E[X] = \Sigma X_i P(X_i) = \Sigma X P(X \ heads \ in \ first \ 40) + \Sigma n P(n \ heads \ after \ that \ | \ X \ heads \ in \ first \ 40)[/tex]

[tex] = \Sigma X(40CX)(1/4)^X (3/4)^{40 - X} + \Sigma n (XCn)(1/4)^n (3/4)^{X - n}[/tex]

almost :smile:

but you need nP(n heads after that), not nP(n heads after that | X heads in first 40) :wink:

since each toss is independent, P(head) = 1/4, and since this is a binomial distribution, E[X] = np

and just to make things a bit more organized (at least for me) [tex]E[X] = E[X_1] + E[X_2][/tex] where [tex]E[X_1][/tex] = nP(X heads in first 40 tosses) and [tex]E[X_2][/tex] = nP(n heads after that)

[tex]E[X] = E[X_1] + E[X_2][/tex]
[tex]E[X] = 40(1/4) + E[X_1](1/4)[/tex]
[tex]E[X] = 10 + 10(1/4) = 12.5[/tex]

cse63146 said:
[tex]E[X] = 40(1/4) + E[X_1](1/4)[/tex]
[tex]E[X] = 10 + 10(1/4) = 12.5[/tex]

sorry … no idea what you're doing :confused:

go back and adjust your last post … that was almost correct :smile:

The way I thought of it was like this:

Expecation of a binomial distribution is np. Since we flip a coing 40 times with 1/4 probability of getting heads, the expected number of heads would be 10. So for the second part, we would flip the coin another 10 times (because we expect to get 10 heads in the first 40 tosses) and the probability of heads would still be 1/4 so 10(1/4) = 2.5, and we add them together to get 12.5 heads.

1. What is the probability of getting exactly X heads when tossing a coin X times?

The probability of getting exactly X heads when tossing a coin X times is equal to the number of ways to get X heads divided by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented by the formula P(X) = (nCx) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where n is the number of tosses, x is the number of heads, and p is the probability of getting a head (which is 0.5 for a fair coin).

2. How many different outcomes are possible when tossing a coin X times?

When tossing a coin X times, there are 2^X possible outcomes. This is because for each toss, there are 2 possibilities (heads or tails), and for X tosses, the total number of possibilities is 2*2*2...X times, which can be written as 2^X.

3. What is the expected number of heads when tossing a coin X times?

The expected number of heads when tossing a coin X times is equal to the number of tosses multiplied by the probability of getting a head. In other words, it is equal to X * 0.5, or simply X/2.

4. How does the probability of getting X heads change as the number of tosses increases?

As the number of tosses increases, the probability of getting X heads also increases. This is because with more tosses, the sample size of possible outcomes increases, making it more likely for the actual outcome to be closer to the expected outcome (which is X/2 for a fair coin).

5. Is it possible to get more heads than tails when tossing a coin X times?

Yes, it is possible to get more heads than tails when tossing a coin X times. However, as the number of tosses increases, the probability of getting an equal number of heads and tails becomes higher due to the law of large numbers. This means that over a large number of tosses, the number of heads and tails will approach being equal.