Simulating RC Low Pass Filter Using MATLAB: Symbolic to Numeric Conversion

In summary, the conversation discusses using MATLAB to simulate a simple RC low pass filter. The person is new to this type of analysis and is seeking advice on how to multiply a symbolic transfer function with a numeric array. Suggestions are given to use a Bode plot or the MATLAB Controls Toolbox to generate a Bode plot for the system. An example is also provided for reference.
sinusance
hey,

I'm trying to use MATLAB to simulate a simple RC low pass filter. I have an array of data that represents the signal I want to filter, and I have the s-domain representation of the filter circuit. I'm pretty new to this type of analysis, but I'm pretty sure I should be taking the fft of my data and multiplying it by the s-domain representation (transfer function) of the circuit, and then take the ifft to get the output.
I guess my problem is I have a symbolic transfer function that I'm trying to multiply with a numeric array. Any Ideas on how I can get a numeric representation of my symbolic transfer function?

Thanks in advance.

(this is my transfer function if that helps)
transferFunc = 100/(s+100)

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably want something called a Bode plot (magnitude and phase angle of a Linear Time Invariant system):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot

If you have the MATLAB Controls Toolbox, you can generate a Bode plot of a system given its transfer function:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/control/ref/bode.html

An example:
http://www.engin.umich.edu/group/ctm/freq/freq.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a million MATLABdude,
That tutorial held all the answers and more! :)

1. What is a RC low pass filter?

A RC low pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows low frequency signals to pass through while attenuating high frequency signals. It is commonly used to remove noise and unwanted high frequency components from a signal.

2. How does MATLAB simulate a RC low pass filter?

MATLAB uses symbolic to numeric conversion to simulate a RC low pass filter. This involves converting the circuit's differential equations into a symbolic form, which is then solved numerically using MATLAB's built-in functions.

3. Why is symbolic to numeric conversion important in simulating a RC low pass filter?

Symbolic to numeric conversion allows for a more accurate and efficient simulation of a RC low pass filter. It takes into account the exact equations and parameters of the circuit, rather than using simplified approximations. This results in more precise results.

4. What are the advantages of using MATLAB to simulate a RC low pass filter?

MATLAB offers a user-friendly interface and a wide range of built-in functions for simulating electronic circuits. It also allows for easy visualization of results through graphs and plots. Additionally, the symbolic to numeric conversion method used in MATLAB provides highly accurate and efficient simulations.

5. Can MATLAB simulate other types of filters?

Yes, MATLAB can simulate various types of filters, including high pass, bandpass, and bandstop filters. It also allows for the simulation of more complex circuits with multiple components. The symbolic to numeric conversion method can be applied to any circuit with differential equations.