Change in gravitational potential energy and work done against gravity

In summary: Can you help me figure out the correct formula for the amount of work done against gravity?In summary, a 46.0kg child cycles up a large hill to a vertical distance of 5.25m above the starting position. The change in the child's gravitational potential energy is 2366.7 J. The correct formula for the amount of work done against gravity is still being determined.
Amber3046

Homework Statement

a 46.0kg child cycles up a large hill to a point that is vertical distance of 5.25m above the starting position find:
a.) The change in the childs gravitational potential energy
b.) The amount of work done by the child against gravity

Homework Equations

delta Eg=mg delta h?
W=delta Eg-g?

The Attempt at a Solution

delta Eg=(46.0kg)(9.80m/s2)(5.25m)
delta Eg=2366.7 J {This number seems too high though, and it wouldn't be the change. I don't know how to get that}
W=2366.7-9.80
W=2356.9J

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is ok, that is the change..

But for the second part, are you sure can do that??
Check the units..., you are subtracting joules from m/s^2

Thaakisfox said:
The first part is ok, that is the change..

But for the second part, are you sure can do that??
Check the units..., you are subtracting joules from m/s^2

I don't know if you can do that. It was just my guess, do you know how to do that?

what is the formula for the amount of work done that's given in your book. Write all of them

Well of course you can't do that. What was your line of thought that got you there? Maybe we can clear it up then ;)

Thaakisfox said:
Well of course you can't do that. What was your line of thought that got you there? Maybe we can clear it up then ;)

My line of thought was that I would take the Gravitational Potential Energy and subtract the acceleration of gravity (9.81m/s^2). I don't think that it's right, that was just something I tried.

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential energy that an object has when it is positioned at a certain height above the ground, relative to a reference point.

2. How does gravitational potential energy change?

Gravitational potential energy changes when an object's height or position in a gravitational field changes. As an object moves higher or lower, its potential energy will increase or decrease, respectively.

3. What is meant by work done against gravity?

Work done against gravity is the amount of energy needed to move an object against the force of gravity. This is typically calculated by multiplying the force of gravity by the distance an object is moved against it.

4. How is work done against gravity related to change in gravitational potential energy?

The work done against gravity is equal to the change in gravitational potential energy. This means that as an object is moved against gravity, its potential energy will either increase or decrease by the same amount.

5. What are some real-life examples of change in gravitational potential energy and work done against gravity?

Some examples include lifting an object off the ground, climbing a flight of stairs, or riding a roller coaster. In all of these cases, the object or person is moving against the force of gravity, resulting in a change in gravitational potential energy and work being done against gravity.