Damped Harmonic Motion: Find Speed at Equilibrium

In summary, the position x(t) of a mass undergoing damped harmonic motion at an angular frequency ω is described by x(t)=Ae^(t/τ)cos(ωt+δ), where τ is the time constant, A is the initial amplitude, and δ is an arbitrary phase. To find the speed of the mass as it passes through the equilibrium position, you can use the formula v(t)=-Aωe^(t/τ)sin(ωt+δ). "Equilibrium" refers to the point where all forces are equal or the stationary point of the system. To find the velocity at any time, the given function should be differentiated.
aks_sky
The position x(t) of a mass undergoing damped harmonic motion at an angular frequency ω'
is described by

x(t)=A e^t/τ cos(ώt + delta)

where τ is the time constant, A the initial amplitude and delta an arbitrary phase.

(a) Find an expression for the speed of the mass as it passes through the equilibrium
position.

*Can anyone give me an idea on how to start solving this problem. I haven't tried anything because i don't know where to start.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you get velocity from position?

What does "equilibrium" mean?

Equillibrium is the point where all the forces are equal or the stationary point of any system. And the velocity you can find by using: v(t) = -Aw sin(wt + phi) ?

edit: Am i differentiating The function given to find the velocity at any time?

aks_sky said:
Am i differentiating The function given to find the velocity at any time?

Yes, that is what you should do.

sweet.. thank you

1. What is damped harmonic motion?

Damped harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which an object experiences a restoring force that decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force, such as friction or air resistance.

2. How is speed at equilibrium calculated in damped harmonic motion?

The speed at equilibrium in damped harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation v = v0e-bt/2m, where v0 is the initial velocity, b is the damping constant, t is time, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the speed at equilibrium in damped harmonic motion?

The speed at equilibrium in damped harmonic motion is affected by the initial velocity, damping constant, and mass of the object. It is also influenced by the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation.

4. How does damping affect the speed at equilibrium in harmonic motion?

Damping decreases the speed at equilibrium in harmonic motion by dissipating energy from the system. As the damping force increases, the speed at equilibrium decreases until the object comes to a complete stop.

5. What is the significance of the speed at equilibrium in damped harmonic motion?

The speed at equilibrium in damped harmonic motion represents the maximum speed that an object can reach as it oscillates. It is an important parameter to consider in engineering and design applications, such as in the design of shock absorbers or suspension systems.