What is energy and work in electricity?

In summary: And finally, the chapter starts with the equation of electricity and magnetism.In summary, voltage is the energy stored in an imbalance of charge.
user111_23
I read an article about voltage. It's says it's the energy drop (work) per unit of charge. In mechanics, work is a force applied over a distance. Energy is the amount of force you can apply over a distance.

But what about in electricity? The definition of energy in mechanics doesn't seem to *click* with electricity.

Basically, what is work and energy in the context of electrical circuits?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of work is the same in electricity as anywhere else: f.d

The definition of energy is the same also: the capacity to do work.

DaleSpam said:
The definition of work is the same in electricity as anywhere else: f.d

The definition of energy is the same also: the capacity to do work.

But if electrons are doing work on a light bulb, what is really going on?

At an atomic level a force is applied to the electrons which gain a little KE, quickly collide with atoms in the filament, and convert the KE to thermal energy. When the filament gets hot enough it glows due to normal blackbody radiation.

Thanks. Finally, I read another article stating that voltage is the amount of energy stored in an imbalance of charge. Is this correct? If so, what is this energy?

Could you post a link to these articles, please? Because that isn't correct. Voltage is not energy, it is analogous to force.

user111_23 said:
Thanks. Finally, I read another article stating that voltage is the amount of energy stored in an imbalance of charge. Is this correct?

Absolutely not; voltage multiplied by the imbalance of charge is the energy available.

From the second link:
This potential energy, stored in the form of an electric charge imbalance and capable of provoking electrons to flow through a conductor, can be expressed as a term called voltage, which technically is a measure of potential energy per unit charge of electrons, or something a physicist would call specific potential energy.
Boy, I guess I could be wrong, but that seems an awfully cumbersome way of looking at it. I guess that makes force an energy per unit distance...

[edit] Oh wait, that's not exactly the same as what you said in the previous post. Phrak has it...

russ_watters said:
From the second link: Boy, I guess I could be wrong, but that seems an awfully cumbersome way of looking at it. I guess that makes force an energy per unit distance...

[edit] Oh wait, that's not exactly the same as what you said in the previous post. Phrak has it...

It is combersome. Rather than the ususal W = E q d = V q, somehow user111_23 has been presented with things like V = W/q as a touch stone.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
It is combersome. Rather than the ususal W = E q d = V q, somehow user111_23 has been presented with things like V = W/q as a touch stone.

So wait, if voltage (electric potential difference, that is) isn't W/q or [tex]\Delta[/tex]PE/q, then what is it? :confused:

Maybe I should just stop caring about physics.

user111_23 said:
So wait, if voltage (electric potential difference, that is) isn't W/q or [tex]\Delta[/tex]PE/q, then what is it? :confused:

But it is. W = q V, and V = W/q. You've just learned about voltage in a manner that gives pause. When the rest of us hear "voltage is energy over charge", we have to take a moment to re-arrange terms to decide if it's true. That was my point, above.

And besides that, you left out a spatial displacement (where you asked about voltage = work per unit of charge) in your original question, and confused everybody from the start, as we tried to read between the lines.

Any ways, it seems you've got it now and you can continue on, without forgetting all about physics :smile:.

Last edited:
I have seen textbooks that start the chapter on electrical energy with V=W/q or something like it. For example Halliday's _Fundamentals of Physics_ begins with a picture of a battery across a resistor, the battery is labeled with a curly letter E for "emf", there's a color-highlighted box that says that the curly E is defined as the derivative dW/dQ, then there's a cartoon of a man lifting up bowling balls and putting them on a platform, where they roll down a chute, and the analogy to gravity is presented.

Last edited:

What is energy in electricity?

Energy in electricity refers to the ability of an electrical system to do work. It is the movement of electrons through a conductor that creates a flow of energy, which can be harnessed to power devices and perform tasks.

What is work in electricity?

Work in electricity is the force applied to move an electrical charge through a circuit. It is measured in joules and is a measure of the energy transferred or used by an electrical system.

How is energy converted into work in electricity?

Energy is converted into work in electricity through the movement of electrons. When a voltage is applied to a circuit, it creates a potential difference that causes electrons to flow, thereby creating an electrical current. This flow of electrons can then be harnessed to do work, such as powering a light bulb or charging a phone.

What are the different forms of energy in electricity?

There are two main forms of energy in electricity: potential energy and kinetic energy. Potential energy is stored energy that is ready to be converted into work, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion. In an electrical system, potential energy is stored in the form of voltage, while kinetic energy is present in the form of electrical current.

How is energy conserved in electricity?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In electricity, this means that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant, even as it is converted into different forms, such as potential and kinetic energy. This principle is crucial in understanding and designing efficient electrical systems.