Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation

In summary, a non head on collision between objects with equal mass and momentum results in a 90 degree split due to the conditions of the collision, where the objects have to be the same size, there can be no losses in the collision, and the objects have to be free to travel in any direction on a plane. This can be represented through vector calculations and solving equations to determine the relationship between the sides of a triangle formed by the collision.
shredder666
Why does a non head on collision between objects with momentum and an object without momentum result in a 90 degree split? (objects have similar mass)

Could you please represent this in vector form? I'm not sure how I could represent this because it's not a head on collision but a side swipe...

Physics news on Phys.org

Normallly the objects have to be the same size, and there can be no losses in the collision (elastic collision), and the objects have to be free to travel in any direction, at least any direction on a plane.

well yea those conditions are assumed

I still don't get how the collision results in a 90 degree angle, could someone show me some vector calculation with variables

shredder666 said:
I still don't get how the collision results in a 90 degree angle, could someone show me some vector calculation with variables
You have to write down the x and y components of momentum and energy, and solve the equations, See Andy Mason's post #5 in
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=311193&highlight=collision+equal+mass
and determine what kind of triangle with sides A, B, and C (if any) satisfies the relation A2+B2 = C2.

oh ok thanks

What is Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation?

Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation is a mathematical and graphical method used to analyze collisions between two objects that are not moving directly towards each other. It takes into account the velocities and directions of both objects before and after the collision to determine the resulting velocities and directions.

What are the key components of Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation?

The key components of Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation include the initial and final velocities of both objects, as well as their directions of motion. Additionally, the masses of the objects and the angles at which they collide are also important factors in this representation.

How is Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation used in real-world applications?

Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the outcomes of collisions between objects such as cars, billiard balls, or particles in a particle accelerator. It can also be used to predict and prevent potential collisions in systems such as air traffic control.

What are the advantages of using Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation?

One major advantage of using Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation is its ability to accurately predict the outcome of a collision between objects with varying velocities and directions. It also provides a visual representation of the collision, making it easier to understand and analyze.

Are there any limitations to Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation?

One limitation of Non-Headon Collision Vector Representation is that it assumes perfectly elastic collisions, where there is no loss of kinetic energy. In real-world scenarios, this may not always be the case, as some energy may be lost due to factors such as friction. Additionally, this method may become more complex when dealing with multiple colliding objects.