Please Recommend a Good Book on Measure Theory

In summary, there are several books on measure theory that would be suitable for a beginner with no prior knowledge. Some recommendations include "Measure Theory and Integration" by Soo B. Chae, "Measure Theory" by Frank Jones, and "A Radical Approach to Lebesgue's Theory of Integration" by David Bressoud. However, there is no one definitive textbook for this subject. One possibility is "Real Analysis" by Royden, although it may not be the best choice. Another option is "Measure Theory and Fine Properties of Functions" by Lawrence C. Evans, which also covers probability theory. Overall, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of discrete probability before delving into measure theory, and a good introductory book for
brian44
All the books I want to read about probability and statistical estimation require some understanding of measure theory. What is a good introductory text on measure theory you would recommend (assuming no prior knowledge of measure theory at all)? I want to be able to teach myself from the book as well so it can't be too esoteric.

thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Books that I've come across, but don't have too much experience with are:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387943579/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Soo B. Chae
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0763717088/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Space by Frank Jones
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521711835/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by David Bressoud

In my opinion Lebesgue measure theory and integration is one of those subjects where there isn't a great textbook. If I remember correctly, all three of the above books define measure by a different method. You just sort of have to go with one. I recently learned from Real Analysis by Royden, but I do not recommend that text at all. Although, I second the recommendation of Bartle's book. It concentrates solely on measure and integration, but it is very expensive for such a small book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is Measure Theory?

Measure Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of measures on different types of sets. It is used to quantify the size or extent of a set and to define measures on more complicated spaces such as infinite-dimensional spaces.

Why is Measure Theory important?

Measure Theory plays a crucial role in various areas of mathematics such as probability, analysis, and geometry. It provides a rigorous framework for defining and manipulating concepts of size and integration, which are essential in many applications.

What are the key concepts in Measure Theory?

The key concepts in Measure Theory include measures, measurable sets, sigma-algebras, and measurable functions. Measures are used to assign a numerical value to a set, while measurable sets are subsets of a larger set that can be assigned a measure. Sigma-algebras are collections of measurable sets, and measurable functions are functions that preserve the structure of these sets.

What are some popular books on Measure Theory?

Some popular books on Measure Theory include "Real Analysis: Measure Theory, Integration, and Hilbert Spaces" by Elias M. Stein and Rami Shakarchi, "Measure Theory and Integration" by G. de Barra, and "A Course in Analysis: Volume III - Measure and Integration Theory" by D. J. H. Garling.

What prerequisites are needed to understand Measure Theory?

To understand Measure Theory, one should have a strong foundation in mathematical analysis, including topics such as real analysis, topology, and calculus. Some familiarity with abstract algebra and probability theory may also be helpful.