Bose Einstein Condensation

In summary, Bose Einstein Condensation (BEC) is a phenomenon that occurs in certain materials at extremely low temperatures where a large number of particles (usually bosons) occupy the same quantum state, resulting in a macroscopic quantum state. BEC can occur when a material is cooled to temperatures close to absolute zero and when the particles are confined in a small space. It is a quantum phenomenon that is different from regular condensation, which is a classical phenomenon. Some practical applications of BEC include quantum computing, precision measurement, and superfluidity. BEC was first proposed by Satyendra Nath Bose and Albert Einstein, and was experimentally observed in 1995 by Eric Cornell, Carl Wieman, and Wolfgang Ketterle,
errordude
Hi i tried in the other section with no luck.
Let me try here if there are anyone here that can help me.

the question is:

Suppose one catches in 5000-Na atoms in a spherical-shaped cloud with diameter of 2mm.
And suppose that the atoms are uniformly distributed in that sphere.
At what temperature will one get the Bose Einstein Condensation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
u guys are worse than me

errordude said:
u guys are worse than me

We're not here to do your homework for you. The more effort you show, the more likely you are to receive assistance.

What is Bose Einstein Condensation?

Bose Einstein Condensation (BEC) is a phenomenon that occurs in certain materials at extremely low temperatures where a large number of particles (usually bosons) occupy the same quantum state, resulting in a macroscopic quantum state.

What are the conditions required for Bose Einstein Condensation to occur?

BEC can occur when a material is cooled to temperatures close to absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius) and when the particles are confined in a small space, allowing them to interact with each other.

How is Bose Einstein Condensation different from regular condensation?

Bose Einstein Condensation is a quantum phenomenon that occurs at extremely low temperatures, while regular condensation is a classical phenomenon that occurs when a gas or vapor turns into a liquid due to a decrease in temperature. BEC involves particles occupying the same quantum state, while regular condensation involves particles coming together due to intermolecular forces.

What are some practical applications of Bose Einstein Condensation?

BEC has many potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, precision measurement, and superfluidity. It can also be used to create new states of matter that can help scientists better understand the behavior of quantum systems.

Who discovered Bose Einstein Condensation?

Bose Einstein Condensation was first proposed by Satyendra Nath Bose and Albert Einstein in the 1920s. However, it wasn't until 1995 that it was experimentally observed by Eric Cornell, Carl Wieman, and Wolfgang Ketterle, who were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2001 for their work on BEC.