Thermochemistry Help Again How to find mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of using boiling water to raise the temperature of a bathtub filled with 25 kg of room-temperature water to body temperature. The equations used are q = mc(Tf-Ti) and m = q/c(Tf-Ti) to calculate the amount of boiling water needed. However, there is confusion regarding the use of specific heat and the equation for finding the amount of boiling water needed.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

Imagine that your water heater has broken, but you want to take a bath. You fill your bathtub with 25 kg of room-temperature water (about 25 degrees Celsius). You figure that you can boil water on the stove and pour it into the bath to raise the temperature. How much boiling water would you need in order to raise the bath to body temperature (about 37 degrees Celsius)? Assume that no heat is transferred to the surrounding environment.

Homework Equations

q = mc(Tf-Ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I find "q" in the following way:

q = 25000 g x 4.18 J/g x C x 12 C
q = 125400 J/g x C

Then, I sub in the following...

m = q/c(Tf-Ti)
m = 125400 J/g x C / 4.18 J/g x C x 12 C
m = 2500

I have a strong feeling this is terribly wrong, can someone please point the mistake out for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
kirsten_2009 said:
q = mc(Tf-Ti)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I find "q" in the following way:

q = 25000 g x 4.18 J/g x C x 12 C
q = 125400 J/g x C

Then, I sub in the following...

m = q/c(Tf-Ti)
m = 125400 J/g x C / 4.18 J/g x C x 12 C
m = 2500

I have a strong feeling this is terribly wrong, can someone please point the mistake out for me?

What is that "q = 25000 g x 4.18 J/g x C x 12 C", and why find out the energy of the water?
The specific heat of water between 0 and 100 is about the same.(usually regarded)

So you have 25kg -- 25'C
x kg -- 100'c
And the 25+x kg -- 37'C

Can you get an equation from these?

1. How do I calculate the mass of a substance using thermochemistry?

To find the mass of a substance using thermochemistry, you will need to know the change in enthalpy (ΔH) of the reaction, the number of moles of the substance involved in the reaction, and the molar mass of the substance. You can then use the formula: mass = (ΔH * moles) / molar mass.

2. What is the relationship between mass and energy in thermochemistry?

In thermochemistry, mass and energy are directly related through the law of conservation of mass and energy. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another. In a chemical reaction, the total mass of the reactants will always be equal to the total mass of the products.

3. How does temperature affect mass in thermochemistry?

In thermochemistry, temperature can affect the mass of a substance in several ways. For example, when a substance undergoes a phase change (such as melting or vaporization), its mass remains constant, but its temperature changes. Additionally, temperature can affect the rate of a chemical reaction, which can also impact the mass of the substances involved.

4. Can I use thermochemistry to find the mass of a gas?

Yes, you can use thermochemistry to find the mass of a gas. However, you will need to know the volume of the gas, its pressure, and its temperature in addition to the change in enthalpy of the reaction and the molar mass of the gas. You can then use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the number of moles of the gas, and then use the formula from question 1 to find the mass.

5. Are there any limitations to using thermochemistry to find mass?

Thermochemistry is a useful tool for calculating mass in many situations, but it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that reactions are carried out under ideal conditions and that all energy changes are due to heat. It also does not take into account any losses of energy or mass during a reaction, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated mass.