Continous liquid-liquid extraction

• Thread starter shinobiazra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extraction
In summary, for a 3-stage mixer settlers modelling lab, the write-up should include an introduction, procedure, theory/calculations, results and discussion, conclusions, and references. The introduction should provide an overview of the experiment and its purpose, while the procedure should detail the steps taken. The theory/calculations section should explain the theoretical background and include any relevant equations. The results and discussion section should present the findings and provide analysis and explanations for any unexpected results. Finally, the conclusions section should summarize the overall findings and make any recommendations based on the results. References should be provided for any sources used in the experiment.
shinobiazra
I have just done the lab and quite not sure how to do the write-up. Can any1 give me methods? I am planning to go with intro, procedure, basic diagram of a 3-stage mixer settlers modelling, mass balances, titrattion results (which part should I write the problem statement), observations, discussion, errors and improvements.

My problem statement says;
1) given x-y diagram reflecting partition coeeficient is not constant varies with ceoncentration. (we can use graph)

2) objective to determine the way in which overall extraction efficiency of the 3-stage extraction is affected by degree of mixing. (To my understanding, degree of mixing is less mixed, more mixed, as speed of stirrer increases, mixing increases, reaching equilibrium faster). I think this is correct but clarifications, advice greatly appreciated.

3) Calculate the significance of residence time in the system and make an estimate as to how long the cascade should be left to reach steady state. (This is done by a mass balance but I don't know how) CONFUSED!

The raffinate is water, extract is kerosene and propoinic acid. Basically, propoinic aicd is extracted from kerosene via passing through 3 mixer settler stages.

For titration, 1st part; kerosene feed titrated against NaOH solution (0.2M) using phenolphthalein as indicator. Better to add 10cm3 volume of water to kerosene and agitate it but why do we do this? Also the pippetes we used were 10cm^3.

Once steady state has reached, titrate the aquous extract(comprimise of what, water/propoinic acid) and kerosene raffinate against caustic soda solution (0.02 mola for product kerosene phase, 0.2 molar for feed water n kerosene pahse). Ok so now I'm confused. "

Kerosene raffinate is not equal to water abd kerosene phase or is it?" Help.

These will enable me to draw operating line ( i know how) but how do I get the equilibrium line? Perform mass balance on proipionic acid to check steady state has reached. How do I do that?

Finally, take samples of both phases, kerosene top phase, water bottom phase from 1 and 2 settler units and titrate these to find actual coditions in these satges (what are the conditions?)

You can see I'm clueless. After I solve this, I can plot operating line and go on with my lab report.

YOur help is greatly appreicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank You. A suggested write-up for a 3-stage mixer settlers modelling lab could include the following sections: Introduction, Procedure, Theory/Calculations, Results and Discussion, Conclusions, and References. Introduction:This section should provide an overview of the experiment and its purpose. It should include a brief discussion of the 3-stage mixer settlers modelling process and why it is useful. It should also explain what problem you are attempting to solve with the experiment.Procedure:This section should provide a detailed description of the steps taken in the experiment. It should include a description of the materials used, the measurements taken, and the calculations made. It should also include any precautions taken to ensure accuracy and safety. Theory/Calculations:This section should provide a theoretical explanation of the 3-stage mixer settlers modelling process. It should also include any equations or calculations used in the experiment. Results and Discussion:This section should present the results of the experiment, including any graphs, diagrams, or tables. It should also discuss any unexpected results and suggest possible explanations for them. Conclusions:This section should summarize the findings of the experiment and provide any conclusions or recommendations based on the results. References:This section should provide a list of any sources used in the experiment.

1. What is continuous liquid-liquid extraction?

Continuous liquid-liquid extraction, also known as continuous liquid-liquid chromatography, is a separation technique used to separate and purify mixtures of two or more liquids based on their different solubilities in two immiscible liquids.

2. How does continuous liquid-liquid extraction work?

In continuous liquid-liquid extraction, the mixture is passed through a series of extraction columns containing the two immiscible liquids. The mixture is continuously fed into the first column, where one of the liquids extracts the desired component. The resulting mixture is then fed into the next column, where the other liquid extracts the desired component. This process is repeated until the desired purity is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of continuous liquid-liquid extraction?

Continuous liquid-liquid extraction offers several advantages over traditional batch extraction methods. It allows for continuous and automated separation, which increases efficiency and reduces labor costs. It also allows for better control over the separation process, resulting in higher purity and yield of the desired component.

4. What are the applications of continuous liquid-liquid extraction?

Continuous liquid-liquid extraction has a wide range of applications in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and environmental analysis. It is commonly used for purification and separation of natural products, isolation of active ingredients from plants, and removal of impurities from industrial products.

5. Are there any limitations to continuous liquid-liquid extraction?

Continuous liquid-liquid extraction may not be suitable for all types of mixtures and may not always achieve the desired purity. It also requires specialized equipment and expertise, which can be expensive. Additionally, the choice of immiscible liquids and their compatibility with the mixture must be carefully considered to avoid unwanted reactions or degradation of the components.