Mechanics - find the coefficient of friction

In summary, a horizontal force of 2 N is just sufficient to prevent a block of mass 1 kg from sliding down a rough plane inclined at arcsin \frac{7}{25} to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the block and the plane is g = 9.8 and the acceleration with which the block will move when the force is removed is 1.97 ms^-2.
mohdakram

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 2 N is just sufficient to prevent a block of mass 1 kg from sliding down a rough plane inclined at arcsin [tex]\frac{7}{25}[/tex] to the horizontal. Find the coefficient of friction between the block and the plane and the acceleration with which the block will move when the force is removed.

g = 9.8

Homework Equations

F = [tex]\mu[/tex]R

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't try the second part, but this is the first part.
Ncos[tex]\theta[/tex]+[tex]\mu[/tex]R=mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex]
I replace N and [tex]\theta[/tex] with the values given and R with mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex] and solve for [tex]\mu[/tex].

I get [tex]\mu=0.0876[/tex]

The answer at the back of the book is 0.0827 for coefficient.
1.97 ms^-2 for acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
mohdakram said:

Homework Statement

A horizontal force of 2 N is just sufficient to prevent a block of mass 1 kg from sliding down a rough plane inclined at arcsin [tex]\frac{7}{25}[/tex] to the horizontal. Find the coefficient of friction between the block and the plane and the acceleration with which the block will move when the force is removed.

g = 9.8

Homework Equations

F = [tex]\mu[/tex]R

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't try the second part, but this is the first part.
Ncos[tex]\theta[/tex]+[tex]\mu[/tex]R=mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex]
I replace N and [tex]\theta[/tex] with the values given and R with mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex] and solve for [tex]\mu[/tex].

I get [tex]\mu=0.0876[/tex]

The answer at the back of the book is 0.0827 for coefficient.
1.97 ms^-2 for acceleration
You don't have all the forces listed, and your geometry/trig and sum of force component equations are off. When you do inclined plane problems, first identify all forces acting, both the gravity force and all the contact forces. Then, before applying Newton's laws, let the x-axis be parallel to the incline , and let the y-axis be perpendicular to the incline. Now tilt your head, break forces into their x and y components, and solve using Newton's laws in both the x direction and y direction.
And welcome to PF!

Thank you PhantomJay for the help. I forgot to include the vertical component of the horizontal force when calculating R, which affected my final answer.

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a measure of the force required to move one surface over the other.

2. How do I calculate the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction can be found by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force. It is important to note that the coefficient of friction may vary depending on the materials and conditions involved.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors including the roughness of the surfaces, the type of material, the pressure pushing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants. Additionally, the coefficient of friction may change depending on the direction of motion.

4. Why is knowing the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in many applications, such as designing machines and structures, analyzing the performance of vehicles, and determining the stability of objects on a slope. It also helps us understand the relationship between force, motion, and surface materials.

5. Can the coefficient of friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be greater than 1. This happens when the force of friction is greater than the normal force, indicating that the surfaces are sticking together and require more force to move. However, it is rare for the coefficient of friction to exceed 1 in most real-world scenarios.