Moment of Inertia for three spherical masses

In summary, the masses of a sphere are located at the positions shown in the figure below. A has mass 39.3 kg, B has mass 35.9 kg, and C has mass 17.6 kg. The moment of inertia (I) of the three masses with respect to the z-axis perpendicular to the xy plane and passing through the origin is calculated to be 9.825 kg\dot{}.m2.
MissPenguins

Homework Statement

2) Three spherical masses are located in a plane at the positions shown in the figure below. A
has mass 39.3 kg, B has mass 35.9 kg, and C has mass 17.6 kg.
a5.jpg

Calculate the moment of inertia (of the three masses) with respect to the z-axis perpendicular to the xy plane and passing through the origin. Assume the masses are point particles; e.g., neglect the contribution due to moments of inertia about their center
of mass. Answer in units of kg X m.

Homework Equations

I = sum of mr2
I = (2/5)mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

(39.3)(0.52) = 9.825 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2
(35.9)(0.52) = 8.975 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2
(17.6)(0.52) = 4.4 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2
(9.825+8.975+4.4) = 23.2

I = (2/5)mr2
I = (2/5)9.8252 = 3.93
I = (2/5)8.9752=3.59
I = (2/5)4.42=1.76
Add them all up, I got 9.28 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2

AND I got it WRONG. ;(
PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
MissPenguins said:
(39.3)(0.52) = 9.825 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2
(35.9)(0.52) = 8.975 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2
(17.6)(0.52) = 4.4 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2
(9.825+8.975+4.4) = 23.2
What's the distance of each mass to the axis? You have them all set to 0.5. Why?

I = (2/5)mr2
I = (2/5)9.8252 = 3.93
I = (2/5)8.9752=3.59
I = (2/5)4.42=1.76
Add them all up, I got 9.28 kg[tex]\dot{}.[/tex]m2
You were told to "neglect the contribution due to moments of inertia about their center
of mass". So forget about this and just treat them as point masses.

Doc Al said:
What's the distance of each mass to the axis? You have them all set to 0.5. Why?

You were told to "neglect the contribution due to moments of inertia about their center
of mass". So forget about this and just treat them as point masses.

What do you mean treat them as point masses? How do I do that? Thanks.

Use this:
MissPenguins said:
I = sum of mr2

Not this:
I = (2/5)mr2

Doc Al said:
Use this:

Not this:

so my answer would just be 23.2? What's wrong with my radius? Isn't it 1/2 = 0.5? Thanks.

MissPenguins said:
so my answer would just be 23.2?
No.
What's wrong with my radius? Isn't it 1/2 = 0.5?
r is the distance from the axis for each mass. Where do you get 0.5 from?

Would you use the Distance formula to find the radius between the Z Axis and the Point?

don't know if this is right but have you thought of finding the center of mass then from that (x,y) coordinate use the parallel axis theorem Inew= Icm+h^2*(total mass) where h is the distance between the new axis of rotation and the center of mass.

but then again it did say, "neglect the contribution due to moments of inertia about their center of mass"
and the problem says to treat the particles as point masses so no need for the sphere thing,

so then basically, sumI= mr^2+m2r2^2+...

nazerofsun said:
don't know if this is right but have you thought of finding the center of mass then from that (x,y) coordinate use the parallel axis theorem Inew= Icm+h^2*(total mass) where h is the distance between the new axis of rotation and the center of mass.

but then again it did say, "neglect the contribution due to moments of inertia about their center of mass"
and the problem says to treat the particles as point masses so no need for the sphere thing,

so then basically, sumI= mr^2+m2r2^2+...

I don't think you need to worry about using the parallel axis theorem, since there wasn't an actual change of axis. I think you second part of your answer is correct, because you are just finding the moment of inertia of the system.

Mantello said:
I don't think you need to worry about using the parallel axis theorem, since there wasn't an actual change of axis. I think you second part of your answer is correct, because you are just finding the moment of inertia of the system.

agreed :) just make sure for the r to use the sqrt(x^2+y^2) for the radius since the question would be to rotate everything around the origin, so they will be following a constant radius.

I did d or r = sqrt of x2+y2 for A, B, and C
A = sqrt of -22+2.52 = 3.202
B = sqrt of 12+.52 = 1.118
C = sqrt of 4.52+22 = 4.924
then I used
I = sum of mv2 = m1r1+ m2r2 =m3r3
so I added them all up and got 874.50
Is this reasonable? Am I doing it right?
Thanks guys. ;)

MissPenguins said:
I did d or r = sqrt of x2+y2 for A, B, and C
A = sqrt of -22+2.52 = 3.202
B = sqrt of 12+.52 = 1.118
C = sqrt of 4.52+22 = 4.924
Good!
then I used
I = sum of mv2 = m1r1+ m2r2 =m3r3
Too many typos here. I assume you did I = Σmr².
so I added them all up and got 874.50
Is this reasonable? Am I doing it right?
Looks like you did the right thing.

Doc Al said:
Good!

Too many typos here. I assume you did I = Σmr².

Looks like you did the right thing.

opps, sorry for the typos. YAY, I got it right.

1. What is moment of inertia for three spherical masses?

The moment of inertia for three spherical masses is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It takes into account the distribution of mass and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for three spherical masses?

The moment of inertia for three spherical masses can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia for three spherical masses?

The factors that affect the moment of inertia for three spherical masses include the mass of each object, the distance of each mass from the axis of rotation, and the arrangement of the masses (i.e. whether they are all on the same axis or different axes).

4. Can the moment of inertia for three spherical masses be negative?

No, the moment of inertia for three spherical masses cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

5. How is moment of inertia used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia is used in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles, building structures, and understanding the rotational motion of objects. It is also important in fields like physics and engineering for calculating moments of force and energy.