Mechanics problem, how does the friction affect the movement of an object

In summary, the conversation is about setting up an experiment involving a spring launching a cube with a mass of 176g and 30N of force along a 85cm surface with a friction coefficient of 0.27. The person asking for help wants to understand how to work out the distance the object traveled and the velocity. They are advised to use the conservation of energy and find the change in kinetic energy and work done against friction. The conversation also discusses the spring constant and compressed distance, and how these factors relate to the energy stored in the spring and the work done to push the cube. In the end, the formula for calculating the distance traveled is provided as (½*k*x²) / (µ*m*g).
sandercock
hi

just a general question, i was setting up an experiment the other day where a spring launched a cube with a mass of 176g with 30N of force along a 85cm surface with friction coefficient of 0.27 (according to the teacher), i got the answer but that's because my class mates helped me in my group, and i didnt really understand how to work out how far the object went (we measured the distance but we had to present calculations), i have handed it in but i just want to understand it better (and we got the wrong measurment anyway).

Can any1 help?

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the frictional force is related to the cube's normal reaction by FR=μN.

If you utilize conservation of energy, the change in kinetic energy of the body is equal to the work done against friction. And the work done against friction is simply obtained from the definition of work, FRd. You'd want to find 'd'.

cool thanx!

But how do i work out the velocity? You need that to work out the kinetic energy right?

ke=0.5MV^2

as i have the mass, but don't know the distance or time so can't work out V?

sandercock said:
cool thanx!

But how do i work out the velocity? You need that to work out the kinetic energy right?

ke=0.5MV^2

as i have the mass, but don't know the distance or time so can't work out V?

Well actually since you are using a spring, the maximum energy the spring stores will be converted to kinetic energy. So essentially it is the same as the change in potential energy of the spring.

Yea i starting to get it now, so using the conservation of energy, the change in kinetic energy then equals the work done, and u take away the total work done by friction in the opposite direction (which i worked out to be 6.885N), then do the equation:

work=force(friction) * distance

which when switched around is

30N (force exerted from spring) = 6.885 * (x)

(x) = 30/6.885
distance = 4.357m

right?
haha i just want to understand it correctly

sandercock said:
Yea i starting to get it now, so using the conservation of energy, the change in kinetic energy then equals the work done, and u take away the total work done by friction in the opposite direction (which i worked out to be 6.885N), then do the equation:

work=force(friction) * distance

which when switched around is

30N (force exerted from spring) = 6.885 * (x)

(x) = 30/6.885
distance = 4.357m

right?
haha i just want to understand it correctly

no no.

Did you measure how much the spring is compressed by ? OR were you given the spring constant? Else you will need to find either one using F=kx.

If you were then you can just use E=1/2kx2. This will be the total energy of the system.

Now all of that energy is used up when the block is overcoming friction. Such that 1/2kx2= Work done by friction.

yea i got given the spring constant to be 200N\M, and the spring was compressed 15 cm, so the total potential energy was 30N right?

sandercock said:
yea i got given the spring constant to be 200N\M, and the spring was compressed 15 cm, so the total potential energy was 30N right?

Check that over.

1/2(200)(0.15)2

ohh right

2.25N

that makes more sense..so the distance traveled is...

27cm? according the the work=force*distance equation?

You are mixing force and energy. The unit for a force is Newton. The unit for energy is joule.

The problem you have is one based on the conservation of energy. The energy stored in a spring is:

Es = ½*k*x²

The energy needed to push the cube (the work done) is equal to the force times the distance traveled:

W = F*d

Where the force is the friction force, which is equal to µ*m*g.

Since energy is conserve, both equations should be equal, hence:

d = (½*k*x²) / (µ*m*g)

1. What is friction and how does it affect the movement of an object?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It can either slow down or stop the movement of an object.

2. How does the type of surface affect the amount of friction?

The type of surface can greatly affect the amount of friction. Rough surfaces have more friction compared to smooth surfaces, as there are more points of contact between the two surfaces.

3. How does the weight of an object affect the amount of friction?

The weight of an object does not directly affect the amount of friction. However, the weight of an object can affect the normal force, which is the force exerted by a surface on an object. The normal force can then affect the amount of friction.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the movement of an object?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how much friction there is between two surfaces. It can affect the movement of an object by either increasing or decreasing the amount of friction between the two surfaces.

5. How can friction be reduced in order to increase the movement of an object?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by using smoother surfaces. Additionally, reducing the force pushing the two surfaces together can also decrease the amount of friction.