Closing a Circuit 24.89 Giancoli

• Thread starter vjk2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: However, the charge is not split equally between C1 and C2+C3.In summary, there are three capacitors with values of 2.8 uF, 4.4 uF, and 3.7 uF, with the first one in parallel with the other two in series. A 12 volt voltage is initially applied and a switch is thrown after the first capacitor is charged. The final charges on each capacitor are not split equally, with the first one having less charge than before and the other two sharing the remaining charge. The exact distribution of charge is dependent on the position of the switch.
vjk2
24.89 Giancoli

There are three capacitors. One is in parallel with two others. The two others are in series. The alone one is 2.8 uF, the other two in series are 4.4 and 3.7 uF. a 12 volt voltage is applied. Initially there is a bridge that connects to the 2.8. After it is charged, the switch is thrown. What are the final charges on each?

This one throws me because I'm not sure what happens after the switch is thrown. Does the voltage cease to be applied? or is it still applied? if it is still applied, then I'm not sure how the built-up charge in the 2.8uF capacitor matters.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can imagine a single capacitor in parallel with a series combination, but I cannot imagine what the "bridge" does or where the switch is. Can you post a circuit schematic?

GIANCOLI.ch24.p89.jpg

OK, I get it. With the switch to the left, C1 is fully charged and the other two are uncharged. When the switch is thrown to the right, the voltage source is disconnected and the charge that was initially on C1 is now shared by C1 and the series combination of C2 and C3. Obviously, C1 has less charge than before because some of it went to the series combination.

1. What is the purpose of closing a circuit?

Closing a circuit is necessary to allow electric current to flow through the circuit and power the connected electrical components.

2. How do I close a circuit?

To close a circuit, you need to connect the positive and negative terminals of a power source to the corresponding terminals of the electrical components in the circuit. This can be done by using wires, switches, or other conductive materials.

3. What happens if a circuit is not closed?

If a circuit is not closed, the electrical current will not flow and the connected components will not work. This is because there is no complete path for the electricity to travel through.

4. Can a circuit be closed without a power source?

No, a circuit cannot be closed without a power source. The power source provides the necessary voltage to push the electric current through the circuit and power the connected components.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when closing a circuit?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when closing a circuit to avoid electric shocks. Make sure to use proper insulation and avoid touching exposed wires. It is also important to use the correct voltage and current for the circuit to prevent damage to the components.