Aeronautical and astronautical Engineering

In summary, at my school (KU), aerospace engineering is the name of the program (you send mail to the aerospace department). Within the aerospace department, there are two tracks: the air track is aeronautical engineering (deals with aircraft of all sorts... planes, helecopters, UAV's, etc.) and the space track - my track - is astronautical engineering (deals with spacecraft , rocketry, robotics, etc.). There are several subjects (mostly grad level, but you could get hired as an undergraduate) which straddle the two disciplines.
Viper2838
Im a senior in High school, preparing for college.

I know that I want to major in engineering, preferably in something to do with space, but have a few questions.

Could someone explain the difference between aeronautical and astronautical engineering? or Aerospace engineering for that matter?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Viper,

To some degree it depends on the schools you're looking at.

At my school (go Terps), aerospace engineering is the name of the program (you send mail to the aerospace department).

Within the aerospace department, there are two tracks:

The air track is aeronautical engineering (deals with aircraft of all sorts... planes, helecopters, UAV's, etc.)
The space track - my track - is astronautical engineering (deals with spacecraft , rocketry, robotics, etc.)

In addition to that there are several subjects (mostly grad level, but you could get hired as an undergraduate) which straddle the two disciplines like 'smart structures' and 'control systems'.

Hope that helps.

Shoot me a PM if you're planning on visiting UMCP!

I am a Junior in an Aerospace Engineering department, (KU). At my school most of the introductory classes are based on airplanes, Which is as enigma said aeronautical. once you get into the junior and seinor level then there are classes geared toward the Space craft and such, Which is astronautical. The reasoning given for this is that All spacecraft must first go through the atmosphere and having a good understanding of aircraft helps you think in terms of engineering before tackling space craft. I personaly think that is a bunch of bull, but that is what they tell us.

I hope you do very well in your classes. I hope I have shed light on a different type of curriculum than that of UMCP.

most of the aerospace people I work with are actually mechanical or chemical engineers. All the areo guys are good for is calcualting lift and air flow over a wing, fluid problems.

If you go aerospace, you need to plan to stay for a MS or you will have a very hard time finding a job. Otherwise go with mechanical, materials, or chemical engineering.

Thanks for all of the input. I guess i have a bit to think about still. As for what red fox77 said, do you mean that they double majored? or minored in these things? Oh well, I still plan on heading for aerospace. Thanks everyone.

red_fox77 said:
If you go aerospace, you need to plan to stay for a MS or you will have a very hard time finding a job.

I think that really depends on the area you're looking.

Most of my graduating class this past spring found jobs.

Viper2838 said:
Thanks for all of the input. I guess i have a bit to think about still. As for what red fox77 said, do you mean that they double majored? or minored in these things? Oh well, I still plan on heading for aerospace. Thanks everyone.

Do Aero, but you will get to take a lot of elective classes in different areas. I would pick something in aero you want to do, like satellites or aircraft, and take some electives that will help you get a job. A lot of schools don't offer minors in engineering, but if yours does, it's worth the extra work if you don't plan to stay for a Masters.

I didn't plan to stay when I started college. I really didn't decide to stay till my senior year when the job market was a little shallow and I wasn't getting offers I found very interesting. So don't plan too well, because it never quite happens that way. Best of luck!

1. What is the difference between aeronautical and astronautical engineering?

Aeronautical engineering deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and related systems, while astronautical engineering focuses on the design and development of spacecraft and related systems for space exploration.

2. What are the job prospects for aeronautical and astronautical engineers?

The job prospects for aeronautical and astronautical engineers are quite promising, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029. These engineers can find employment in various industries such as aerospace, defense, research and development, and government agencies.

3. What skills are required to become an aeronautical or astronautical engineer?

Aeronautical and astronautical engineers must have strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as knowledge of physics and mechanics. They must also possess excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills.

4. Can aeronautical and astronautical engineers work together on projects?

Yes, aeronautical and astronautical engineers often work together on projects that involve both aircraft and spacecraft systems. They may collaborate on the design and development of new vehicles, or work together on research projects related to aerodynamics and propulsion systems.

5. What are some current developments in the field of aeronautical and astronautical engineering?

Some current developments in this field include the use of advanced materials and technologies to improve aircraft and spacecraft performance, the development of reusable space launch vehicles, and the integration of artificial intelligence and automation in aerospace systems.