Build Anything: EE Specializations & At-Home Projects

• Thread starter PhysicsHigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, there are various specializations in EE such as Analog, Digital, Systems, Software/Firmware, and Medical Electronics & Bioengineering, which allow for the creation of different types of projects at home. These can range from simple kits to more advanced microcontroller-based projects. Examples of projects that can be made at home include power supplies, audio and video amplifiers, and even a live security camera. For this, an EE would start with a CCD imaging chip and design and build the necessary circuitry. Wireless cameras are also available for purchase and can be connected to a computer for surveillance.
PhysicsHigh
Sorry if there is already a thread for this. But what are all the different types of EE and with each specialization what are things you can make and what kind of things do you guys make on your own at home

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicsHigh said:
Sorry if there is already a thread for this. But what are all the different types of EE and with each specialization what are things you can make and what kind of things do you guys make on your own at home

Off the top of my head, I can think of several specializations in EE. In general about your question of building things at home, you can start with simple kits (google electronics kits, or visit your local Radio Shack type store), and then progress into building microcontroller (uC) based projects for the different specialties...

** Analog (power supplies, RF, sensors, displays, power actuators and systems, etc.)

** Digital (CPLD/ASICs, embedded systems, DSP, RISC, etc.)

** Systems (communications systems, system optimization, etc.)

** Software/Firmware (embedded systems, back-end software, compilers, etc.)

** Medical Electronics & Bioengineering (imaging, biological sensors, laboratory sample analysis systems, etc.)

Just a 'hobbyist' EE (do software for a living), but stuff I've built at home:

- Power supplies -- of various sorts
- High power 12VDC supply that let's me run a car air compressor from 120VAC
- Variable bench supply
- Multi supply (+/- 5, +/- 12, one variable)

- Audio amps, preamps, boosters,
- Video amp
- Guitar 'Fuzz' box
- power timers/switches, etc.

Got projects in the works for bench signal generator, RF Freq counter, RC control for model rockets, etc.

Fun stuff.

Thanks guys. That's really cool I'm going to start doing some basic fun stuff on my own

just wondering could an EE be able to make a live security camera

PhysicsHigh said:

Sure. You'd usually start with a building block like a CCD imaging chip that you can buy from manufacturers, but beyond that, you could design and build all the other circuitry.

PhysicsHigh said:

You can get wireless camera from stores..just plug it into the usb port and enjoy surveillance

Go green think green
Ethan,
Dont forget to add me as your friend

1. What are the benefits of specializing in EE?

Specializing in EE allows you to develop a deep understanding of a specific area in electrical engineering, which can make you a valuable asset in the job market. It also allows you to gain hands-on experience in your chosen field, which can help you develop practical skills that may not be covered in a general EE program.

2. What are the different specializations available in EE?

Some common specializations in EE include power systems, telecommunications, control systems, and microelectronics. However, there are many other areas to specialize in, such as renewable energy, signal processing, and computer engineering.

3. Can I complete these projects at home without access to a lab?

Yes, many of the projects in the EE specializations can be completed at home with basic tools and materials. However, some projects may require access to specialized equipment or software, so it's important to carefully read the project requirements beforehand.

4. How do these projects help in developing practical skills?

These projects are designed to give you hands-on experience in applying the theoretical concepts you learn in your EE courses. By completing these projects, you will gain practical skills such as circuit design, programming, and problem-solving, which are highly valued by employers in the engineering industry.

5. Can I specialize in more than one area in EE?

Yes, you can choose to specialize in multiple areas in EE by taking courses and completing projects in different specializations. This can make you a well-rounded engineer with a diverse skill set, making you more competitive in the job market.