Help with Equation 9.25 in Srednicki's QFT Book?

• Thread starter kexue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qft
In summary, the conversation discusses how to carry out an integration by parts in equation 9.25 in Srednicki's QFT book. The process involves partially integrating and replacing fields with functional derivatives. The person asking for help expresses gratitude to Avodyne for their expertise in QFT and determination to learn.
kexue
Can anybody help me out with equation 9.25 in Srednicki's QFT book?

He says the in the eq. 9.25 an integration by parts has been carried out. I do not see how. I guess we integrate 9.9 and get then 9.25 somehow, but how? Any hints?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Yes, starting with 9.9,
[tex]-{1\over2}\int d^4x(A\partial^\mu\varphi\partial_\mu\varphi+Bm^2\varphi^2)[/tex]
we partially integrate to move [itex]\partial^\mu[/itex] from the first [itex]\varphi[/itex] to the second, which results in
[tex]-{1\over2}\int d^4x(-A\varphi\partial^\mu\partial_\mu\varphi+Bm^2\varphi^2)[/tex]
Then we replace fields by functional derivatives in the way that's done throughout section 9.

Thanks so much, Avodyne! You are the Srednicki guy, who never let's us down. I rather randomly pick up the book when I'm in the mood to learn some QFT. Well, and as it is, I always quickly stumble upon some equations I don't understand. So thanks so much for the help, because I really want to learn QFT, no matter what!

1. What is Equation 9.25 in Srednicki's QFT Book?

Equation 9.25 in Srednicki's QFT Book is a mathematical expression that represents a key concept or formula in the field of quantum field theory. It is used to describe the behavior of quantum fields and their interactions.

2. Why is Equation 9.25 important in QFT?

Equation 9.25 is important in QFT because it is a fundamental equation that helps us understand the behavior of quantum fields and their interactions. It is used to make predictions and calculations in many areas of physics, including particle physics and cosmology.

3. How do I solve Equation 9.25?

Solving Equation 9.25 requires a strong understanding of quantum field theory and its mathematical principles. It involves manipulating and rearranging the equation to find a solution that accurately describes the behavior of the quantum field being studied. It is often solved using techniques such as perturbation theory or Feynman diagrams.

4. What are some practical applications of Equation 9.25?

Equation 9.25 has many practical applications in physics research. It is used to study the properties of particles and their interactions, as well as to make predictions about the behavior of quantum fields in different physical systems. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers.

5. Where can I find more information about Equation 9.25 in Srednicki's QFT Book?

There are many resources available to learn more about Equation 9.25 and its applications in QFT. Some suggestions include reading further in Srednicki's QFT Book, consulting other textbooks on quantum field theory, or attending lectures or seminars on the topic. Additionally, there are many online forums and communities where you can ask questions and discuss this equation with other physicists.