Why are virtual photons not observed in electromagnetic interactions?

In summary, virtual photons are not "observed" because they have a deficit of energy. When they are emitted from particles momentum is conserved but energy is not conserved. The deficit of energy is accommodated with the uncertainty relation: delta_E * delta_t of the order of h_bar. Now if delta_t is large, \Delta E becomes very small and the uncertainty in energy disappears and we should have "true photons". The "infinite range" of electromagnetic interaction lends support to this assertion. But an electromagnetic interaction is never accompanied by the mediation of true photons even when we consider charges at macroscopic distances.
Anamitra
Virtual photons are not "observed" because they have a deficit of energy. When they are emitted from particles momentum is conserved but energy is not conserved. The deficit of energy is accommodated with the uncertainty relation:

delta_E * delta_t of the order of h_bar

Now if delta_t is large , [tex]\Delta[/tex]E becomes very small and the uncertainty in energy disappears and we should have "true photons". The "infinite range" of electromagnetic interaction lends support to this assertion. But an electromagnetic interaction is never accompanied by the mediation of true photons even when we consider charges at macroscopic distances.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure it's really helpful to let a theorem from NRQM interfere with the definition of a concept from field theory. (After all, how much more relativistic could you get?)

To my mind, a virtual photon isn't virtual because of some uncertainty in the energy. Virtual photons are those that mediate interactions, and don't appear on the external legs of Feynman diagrams. What makes them 'virtual' is that as you have to consider zero-, one-, two-, ..., n- loop processes, it's not possible to say that some definite number of photons actually exist.

Also, I believe I'm right in saying that actually energy *is* conserved when a particle emits a virtual photon. The reason virtual particles are "off-shell" -i.e. don't satisfy [tex]p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=m^2c^4[/tex] is precisely so that they can carry whatever energy and momentum are necessary to ensure momentum and energy conservation at each vertex of a Feynman diagram, forcing their mass into a particular "non-standard" value.

It is indeed true that both energy and momentum are conserved at the vertices of the Feynman-Diagrams. And the time interval of travel/propagation of the virtual photon is very small.If we apply the time-enery uncertainty relation there is no problem indeed.
Let us now consider a a pair of charges separated by a large macroscopic distance.

Is the process mediated by the exchange of the virtual electrons or the classical electromagnetic field?
In case the interaction is mediated by the virtual photons, it appears, there is some problem.

Anamitra said:
It is indeed true that both energy and momentum are conserved at the vertices of the Feynman-Diagrams. And the time interval of travel/propagation of the virtual photon is very small.If we apply the time-enery uncertainty relation there is no problem indeed.
Let us now consider a a pair of charges separated by a large macroscopic distance.

Is the process mediated by the exchange of the virtual electrons or the classical electromagnetic field?
In case the interaction is mediated by the virtual photons, it appears, there is some problem.
That's why I never really understood how the notion of "virtual" from nonrelativistic QM (energy-time uncertainty) is often mixed up with the notion of "virtual" in QFT (intermediate off-shell states which appear in perturbation theory).

Anamitra said:

I really don't think there is. I don't understand why
1)You care about a supposed tension between different models of a process, one of which is obviously a better model than the other one. Like I said,
muppet said:
I'm not sure it's really helpful to let a theorem from NRQM interfere with the definition of a concept from field theory. (After all, how much more relativistic could you get?)

2)that even if we make allowances for a dodgy hand-waving semiclassical treatment within the framework of ordinary QM, you care about the fact that [tex]\Delta E[/tex] isn't huge. So what? These arguments are usually to justify the idea of pair production in the context of vacuum fluctuations without going into the full machinery of field theory. In that case, it's only the uncertainty in energy that allows the particles to exist, and the mass of the particle puts a lower bound on [tex]\Delta E[/tex]. Here the it's the energy from the EM field that gives rise to their existence, and over macroscopic distance scales this approximation turns out to be better. Is that so disturbing? :tongue:

haushofer said:
That's why I never really understood how the notion of "virtual" from nonrelativistic QM (energy-time uncertainty) is often mixed up with the notion of "virtual" in QFT (intermediate off-shell states which appear in perturbation theory).
I think it's because students are introduced to the idea of photons long before they're introduced to field theory. For example, I don't know where you're from but the photoelectric effect is on A-level syllabuses in England, wheras I didn't do any field theory until my fourth year of university. The concepts of pair production etc. 'leak out' of their proper context (because they're interesting, and occasionally pedagogically useful), and the uncertainty principle + mass-energy relation trick is the easiest way of making the fix sound plausible. Even in an introductory QFT course (see e.g. Zee's text) it's a common way of introducing the idea that the union of QM and special relativity necessitates variable numbers of particles.

1. Why are virtual photons not observed in electromagnetic interactions?

Virtual photons are not observed in electromagnetic interactions because they are not real particles. They are mathematical constructs used to describe the exchange of energy and momentum between charged particles. These virtual particles are only present in the quantum mechanical description of electromagnetic interactions and cannot be directly observed or measured.

2. What role do virtual photons play in electromagnetic interactions?

Virtual photons play a crucial role in describing the behavior of electromagnetic interactions. They mediate the interaction between charged particles, allowing them to exchange energy and momentum. Without virtual photons, the fundamental forces of electromagnetism would not function as we observe them in nature.

3. Can virtual photons ever become real particles?

No, virtual photons cannot become real particles. They are a mathematical concept used to explain the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. Real photons are observable and have measurable properties such as energy and momentum, while virtual photons do not.

4. How are virtual photons different from real photons?

Virtual photons and real photons are fundamentally different. Real photons are observable particles with a specific energy and momentum, while virtual photons are not directly observable and can have a range of energies and momenta. Additionally, real photons can exist independently, while virtual photons are always found in pairs and are only present during interactions.

5. Are virtual photons important in other interactions besides electromagnetism?

Yes, virtual photons play a crucial role in other fundamental interactions such as the weak and strong interactions. They are essential in mediating the exchange of energy and momentum between particles in these interactions, just as they are in electromagnetism.