Interval of Convergence/radius of convergence

In summary, the interval of convergence for the series is -0.2 < x < 0.2 and the radius of convergence is 0.2.
loganblacke

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence of the series.. Sum from n=1 to infinity of ((-5^n)(x^n))/(n^(1/10)).

Find the radius of convergence.

Homework Equations

Ratio Test -> Lim abs( (An+1)/(An)) as n goes to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the ratio test to get to --> Lim as x goes to infinity of -5x(n/(n+1))^(1/10). I'm lost after this point. My notes say to use l'hopitals rule for infinity/infinity, which leaves me with the absolute value of -5x. plug that into the -b<-5x<b . How do you determine the value of b?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
loganblacke said:

Homework Statement

Find the interval of convergence of the series.. Sum from n=1 to infinity of ((-5^n)(x^n))/(n^(1/10)).

Find the radius of convergence.

Homework Equations

Ratio Test -> Lim abs( (An+1)/(An)) as n goes to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the ratio test to get to --> Lim as x goes to infinity of -5x(n/(n+1))^(1/10). I'm lost after this point. My notes say to use l'hopitals rule for infinity/infinity, which leaves me with the absolute value of -5x. plug that into the -b<-5x<b . How do you determine the value of b?
I didn't check your work, but assuming it's correct so far, if the ratio test gives you a value of |-5x|, for what values does the ratio test tell you that the series converges?

I'm not sure where the |-5x| fits in but according to my notes the series converges if L < 1 and diverges if L >1. All of the problems that I have done so far have been -1 < x < 1 but i have no idea where the -1 & 1 come from.

Right. And you found that L = 5|x|. Putting this fact together with what you know about convergence and divergence using the ratio test tells you what?

OK so regardless of what L is equal to, the -b < x < b always start from b=1? In which case the series converges between -.2 and .2?? I don't understand the "b" part.

Forget the b.

You found that the limit L was 5|x|. The ratio test says the series converges if L < 1 and diverges if L > 1, so your series converges if 5|x| < 1 <==> |x| < .2 <==> -.2 < x < .2. The series may or may not converge at one or both endpoints of this interval. You need to check them separately.

1. What is the definition of "Interval of Convergence"?

The interval of convergence is the range of values for which a power series converges. In other words, it is the set of all x-values for which the series will converge to a finite value.

2. How is the radius of convergence determined?

The radius of convergence is determined by taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term in a power series. This limit will either converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity, and the radius of convergence will be the absolute value of this limit.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence determines the interval of convergence and tells us for which values of x the power series converges. It also helps us determine the convergence or divergence of the series at the endpoints of the interval.

4. Can a power series have a radius of convergence of 0?

Yes, a power series can have a radius of convergence of 0. This means that the series only converges at the center point and diverges for all other values of x.

5. How does the radius of convergence relate to the behavior of a power series?

The radius of convergence determines the behavior of a power series. If the absolute value of x is less than the radius of convergence, the series will converge. If the absolute value of x is greater than the radius of convergence, the series will diverge. The behavior at the endpoints of the interval will depend on the specific series and must be checked separately.