Question concerning the effects of speed on time.

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of speed on time dilation and the concept of relative movement. The speakers question how time would appear to pass on objects traveling at half the speed of light in opposite directions and what would happen if light was emitted between them. It is explained that both objects would see the other with slower passing time and the light would appear redshifted due to their relative velocities. The concept of relativity is also mentioned, stating that velocities do not add in this theory.
MShinkle1040
Sorry if I sound amateur, but I am. I've recently been wondering
about the effects of speed on time dilation. I have read that the
closer you get to the speed of light, the greater the effects are. I
know that movement is relative, and speed is defined by the observer
(I think). So I was thinking, if two objects were traveling parallel
each other in opposite directions towards each other at half the speed
of light as compared to a central point, it would appear to both
objects that the other was traveling at the speed of light. My question is, how would time appear to pass on one of the objects frrom the other. Also, what would happen if light was emitted from one of the objects the moment it passed the other. Would the light seem to float in space?

1/2 the speed of light
O----------------------------------->

<---------------------------------O
1/2 the speed of light

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither would see the other as traveling faster than the speed of light. Theres an equation to find out how fast each sees the other going, but I don't know what it is.

My question is, how would time appear to pass on one of the objects frrom the other. Also, what would happen if light was emitted from one of the objects the moment it passed the other. Would the light seem to float in space?

Both would observe the other to have slower passing time I believe. If light was emitted the moment they passed each other, they would receive that light after they passed and it would appear redshifted to a certain amount since both are moving away from each other. (Remember that EVERYONE, no matter their velocity ALWAYS sees light travel at c. It will never stand still.)

The observers would not see each other approaching at the speed of light. You are adding velocities together, and in relativity, velocities don't add. If the two people were heading towards each other at 2/3 the speed of light (with respect to you), then, if the velocities added, they would see each other approaching at 4/3 the speed of light, which is impossible.

1. How does speed affect time?

As per Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that an object moving at a higher speed will experience time differently compared to an object at rest. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

2. Does time move slower at higher speeds?

Yes, time moves slower at higher speeds due to the phenomenon of time dilation. At higher speeds, the observer's frame of reference changes, and as a result, time is experienced differently compared to an observer at rest.

3. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

In our daily lives, the effects of time dilation are negligible as we do not move at speeds close to the speed of light. However, it plays a crucial role in various scientific fields such as space exploration and satellite communication, where accurate time measurements are essential.

4. Is time travel possible with high speeds?

According to the theory of relativity, time travel is possible in theory with high speeds. However, it is currently not possible with our current level of technology as it would require speeds close to the speed of light, which is currently not achievable.

5. How does time dilation affect aging?

As time moves slower at higher speeds, individuals traveling at high speeds will age slower compared to individuals at rest. This phenomenon has been observed in experiments with atomic clocks on airplanes, where the clocks on the airplane experienced slightly less time compared to the clocks on the ground.