Starting Off as an Electrical Engineer: Roles and Responsibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the different career paths available for electrical engineers starting off in the field after graduating with a bachelor's degree. Some options include testing software, design work, hands-on electrical work, software-based electrical work, and theoretical work. One person mentions that they are currently working with a private engineering firm doing AutoCAD work, which they find boring.
Larrytsai
Hey guys,

I was wondering after you graduate with a bachelors in Electrical Engineering, what do you do in the field starting off in general. Do you just test software, design...?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump, interested as well!

Can anyone respond to this pls?
I'm interested as well.

Btw @OP; you should have been more specific in the title of your thread.

It depends what area of electrical you want to be involved in, its so broad.
Do you want hands on electrical work, ie the maintenance/servicing/development side of things?
Do you want software based electrical as in programming/plc control/networking?
Do you want theoretical work like design?

The list goes on dude, but in my personal opinion i love the hands on stuff, I am an electrical engineer but more than half a mechanical engineer :)

Larrytsai said:
Hey guys,

I was wondering after you graduate with a bachelors in Electrical Engineering, what do you do in the field starting off in general. Do you just test software, design...?

I'm still and undergrad, but I recently started working with a private engineering firm that does consulting work for substations and such and all I've been doing is basically updating old drawings in AutoCAD.

It's extremely boring and I'm kinda hoping it will get better, but who knows. From what I've heard this is typical of EIT's.

1. What is the role of an electrical engineer?

An electrical engineer is responsible for designing, developing, and testing electrical systems, equipment, and components. They work with a variety of devices, from small microchips to large power plants, and are involved in all stages of the engineering process, from research and development to implementation and maintenance.

2. What are the main responsibilities of an electrical engineer?

The main responsibilities of an electrical engineer include designing and developing new electrical systems, analyzing and improving existing systems, creating technical drawings and specifications, conducting tests and experiments, and ensuring that all systems meet safety and quality standards. They also play a crucial role in troubleshooting and maintaining electrical systems.

3. What skills are required to be a successful electrical engineer?

An electrical engineer needs to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They should also possess excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as good communication and teamwork abilities. Additionally, knowledge of electrical engineering software and coding languages is essential for success in this field.

4. What industries do electrical engineers typically work in?

Electrical engineers are employed in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, telecommunications, energy and utilities, transportation, and aerospace. They may also work in research and development, consulting, or government agencies.

5. What are the future prospects for electrical engineers?

The demand for electrical engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, as technological advancements continue to drive the need for new and improved electrical systems. This field offers a wide range of opportunities for career growth and development, from entry-level positions to high-level management roles.