Getting into a UK uni via an Access Course

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on using an access course as a pathway to studying physics at Swansea University. They have already spoken to the admissions department and found that A-Level Maths is the main focus. However, as a mature student, they are having difficulty finding a college that offers A-Level physics within an hour's drive. They have found a college offering a similar course and are wondering if Swansea University would accept it. Other individuals in a similar situation have had success with this type of access course and have been accepted into Russell Group universities.
iamBevan
Hi guys - I was hoping that someone maybe had some experience or knowledge about using an access course as a way of getting into uni to study physics. I'm hoping to get into Swansea Uni in the next two years, and have already spoken to the admissions department. As expected - the focus is very much on A-Level Maths - even over A-Level physics.
As a mature student though I'm finding it very difficult to find a college that offers A-Level physics that is within an hours drive.

I have however, found a college which is reasonably close offering the following: https://www.colegsirgar.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=1003&Itemid=280&lang=en

Does anyone know if a university such as Swansea would accept something like this?

Thanks - Kev.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ask them, not us. I seriously don't understand threads like these. You've got a specific question for a specific university, yet you turn to the general population of Physics Forums, none of which, I assume, are employed at that specific university to provide the answer.

Maybe my question could be: "How does one contact a university's admissions department at 7am on a Sunday morning?" I plan to ask them. I was SIMPLY looking for a little bit of advice. Grow up.

Also, your assumption is stupid.

Alright, let's wait for those Swansea university admissions officers to storm in and prove my assumption wrong. Any second now...

Why so hostile? I asked my question politely enough.

Alright, fair enough. My point was just that it's pointless to ask such a specific question here, but perhaps someone will be able to answer it nonetheless.

I think it depends on where the access course you study is from. I did the Maths & Physics Cert of Higher Education (more or less A-level maths and physics) and have been offered places at Surrey, Bristol, King's, QMUL and Edinburgh so you can definitely do it. I would say that doing the A-levels is probably a bit more rigorous as certain things are glossed over on an access course just because there isn't time to teach everything in just one year, but by and large it's the same thing. The best thing to do is to email specific universities that you're interested in attending and asking them if they accept the qualification that you're thinking of doing.

Alternatively, you'll find that some universities (e.g. Bristol) offer a preliminary year that's equivalent to the access courses you're looking at, which then leads into the first year of the undergrad degree. You spend 4 years doing a BSc effectively, without any qualifications necessary to start. It may be a bit late to organise it to start this year but it's worth doing some quick research and contacting unis directly even if you've missed their published deadlines for applications.

I know that Southampton Uni offers an access year on their physics degree for people who don't have the required maths, hopefully other universities near you offer the same! I'm a mature student too and maths was by far the biggest obstacle, but I was lucky enough to have a college very close by that allowed me to study what I was missing, along with a boss who was happy enough to let me work any hours I could around my studies. Good luck!

iamBevan said:
Hi guys - I was hoping that someone maybe had some experience or knowledge about using an access course as a way of getting into uni to study physics. I'm hoping to get into Swansea Uni in the next two years, and have already spoken to the admissions department. As expected - the focus is very much on A-Level Maths - even over A-Level physics.
As a mature student though I'm finding it very difficult to find a college that offers A-Level physics that is within an hours drive.

I have however, found a college which is reasonably close offering the following: https://www.colegsirgar.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=1003&Itemid=280&lang=en

Does anyone know if a university such as Swansea would accept something like this?

Thanks - Kev.

I got into a Russell Group uni after doing a course very similar to this.
The course I did:
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/ce2011/access-typecourses/awards/UEHPHYMA.html

I got offers from Aston, Warwick, Birmingham, Nottingham, and Leeds.

So you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Access Course and how does it help in getting into a UK university?

An Access Course is a specialized program designed for individuals who do not have traditional qualifications (such as A-levels) but wish to pursue higher education. It provides a pathway for students to develop the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in university-level studies. Completing an Access Course can increase your chances of being accepted into a UK university, as it demonstrates your commitment and readiness for academic work.

2. What are the eligibility requirements for an Access Course in the UK?

The eligibility requirements for an Access Course may vary depending on the institution offering the program. However, in general, you must be at least 19 years old and have relevant work or life experience. Some courses may also require specific GCSE grades or English language proficiency. It is best to check with the specific institution for their specific requirements.

3. How long does an Access Course typically take to complete?

An Access Course usually takes one year to complete, although some institutions may offer part-time or accelerated options. The course is designed to be intensive, covering a full range of subjects in a shorter timeframe. It is important to note that the duration may also depend on the specific pathway and university you are aiming for.

4. Can I choose any subject for my Access Course, or does it have to be related to my desired degree?

Most Access Courses offer a range of subjects to choose from, such as humanities, social sciences, and sciences. It is recommended to choose subjects that align with your desired degree, as this will demonstrate your interest and aptitude in the field. However, some universities may accept a broader range of subjects if they are relevant to the course you are applying for.

5. Are there any financial support options available for Access Course students?

Yes, there are various financial support options available for Access Course students, such as tuition fee loans, maintenance loans, and grants. Additionally, some universities may offer scholarships specifically for Access Course students. It is important to research and inquire about these options to ensure you can afford the program and any associated costs.