FEM software? Poisson equation: Boundary conditions for a charged boundary

In summary, FEM (Finite Element Method) software is a numerical program used in engineering and physics to model and analyze complex systems by solving partial differential equations, such as the Poisson equation. It uses a discretized approach and iterative methods to find the solution that satisfies the equation and specified boundary conditions. In the context of the Poisson equation, boundary conditions are constraints applied to the solution at the boundaries of the domain, which can be either Dirichlet or Neumann conditions. FEM software can handle complex geometry and material properties, but this may affect the computational resources required for the simulation.
zonksoft
Hi all,

I want to calculate the electrostatic potential for an two-dimensional area with given Dirichlet boundary conditions (say, a square) with a charged ring in it (like a wedding ring, but inifinitely thin) with a given line charge density. I figured out that the problem should be solvable if I divided up the whole area into two areas: inside (solution phi_1(r)) and outside (solution phi_2(r)) the ring, connected with the boundary conditions

phi_1=phi_2
dphi_1/dn-dphi_2/dn=\sigma/epsilon_0

d.../dn is the normal derivative, and sigma is the position-dependent line charge along the ring.

If you want, you can also think about the physics behind this, but my real question is about the mathematical issue: Do you know any (free) FEM software that can implement those conditions? I read into NGsolve and ELMER until now, and I don't think they can do it (at least, in a reasonable amount of my time configuring it).

Best
Rafael

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Rafael,

Thank you for your interesting question. I can suggest a few options for FEM software that may be able to handle your problem.

1. COMSOL Multiphysics is a commercial software that has a built-in FEM module for solving electrostatic problems. It has a user-friendly interface and a variety of built-in features, including the ability to specify Dirichlet boundary conditions and line charge densities. However, it is not free and may require some time to learn.

2. FEniCS is a free open-source FEM software that can also handle electrostatic problems. It has a large user community and good documentation, but may require some coding experience to use effectively.

3. FreeFEM is another free open-source FEM software that can handle electrostatic problems. It has a user-friendly interface and a variety of built-in features, including the ability to specify Dirichlet boundary conditions and line charge densities. However, it may not be as well-documented as FEniCS.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. Good luck with your research!

1. What is FEM software?

FEM (Finite Element Method) software is a computer program that uses numerical methods to solve partial differential equations, such as the Poisson equation. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze complex systems.

2. How does FEM software solve the Poisson equation?

FEM software uses a discretized approach, breaking up the domain into smaller elements and approximating the solution at each point. It then uses iterative methods to find the solution that satisfies the Poisson equation and any specified boundary conditions.

3. What are boundary conditions in the context of the Poisson equation?

Boundary conditions are constraints that are applied to the solution of the Poisson equation at the boundaries of the domain. They can be specified as either Dirichlet (prescribed values) or Neumann (derivative values) conditions. These conditions help to define the behavior of the solution at the boundaries.

4. How are boundary conditions for a charged boundary handled in FEM software?

In FEM software, boundary conditions for a charged boundary are typically specified as Dirichlet conditions, where the solution is set to a prescribed value at the boundary. This value is usually related to the charge on the boundary and the material properties of the domain.

5. Can FEM software handle complex geometry and material properties?

Yes, FEM software is capable of handling complex geometries and material properties. This is one of the advantages of using FEM, as it allows for more realistic and accurate modeling of real-world systems. However, the complexity of the geometry and material properties may affect the computational time and resources needed for the simulation.