Perpendicular vectors, triangle, tetrahedron

In summary, if you have two vectors (c, b) and (a, 0), then (b - a).c = 0. This can be used to prove the following geometric results: (a) The lines through the vertices of a triangle ABC perpendicular to the opposite sides meet in a point. (b) If the tetrahedron OABC has two pairs of perpendicular opposite edges, the third pair of edges is perpendicular.
furor celtica
Prove that, if (c - b).a = 0 and (c - a).b = 0, then (b - a).c = 0. Show that this can be used to prove the following geometric results:
a. The lines through the vertices of a triangle ABC perpendicular to the opposite sides meet in a point.
b. If the tetrahedron OABC has two pairs of perpendicular opposite edges, the third pair of edges is perpendicular.
Prove that also, in both cases, (OA)^2 + (BC)^2 = (OB)^2 + (CA)^2 = (OC)^2 + (AB)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the very first task I proceeded by attributing coordinates to each vector: a = (x(1), y(1), z(1)), b = (x(2), y(2), z(2), c = (x(3), y(3), z(3)), where the numbers are actually at the bottom left of the coordinates, but I don't know how to use that notation here.
Anyway I could post all my work but it would take a long time; I didn't have much of a problem at all with the first task and proved that (b - a).c = 0. It took a while though, as you can imagine; is there another way to solve problems like this, or does one always have to use attributed coordinates and deal with those?

With a. and b. I'm stuck, however.
a. I usually would try to solve a question like this by taking into account the end result and what exactly I'm supposed to end up with (and often work backwards to return to the given results), but here I'm not sure at all what you end up with algebraically when three vectors meet. What am I looking for? Also I'm confused on how to find the vectors that are perpendicular to the opposite sides, how to formulate them with regard to the coordinates of A, B and C.
b. Here I immediately became confused as to what is meant by 'opposite edges'. But besides that it seems to be a fairly straightforward variation of the very first task, am I correct?
The last task seems simple as well, as I would just take the attributed coordinates and reformulate the magnitudes of the given vectors to be equivalent, perhaps with some help from the result in the first task. I haven't tackled this one yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi furor celtica! :smile:
furor celtica said:
It took a while though, as you can imagine; is there another way to solve problems like this, or does one always have to use attributed coordinates and deal with those?

no! never use coordinates to solve vector problems unless you have to!

the whole point of vector notation is that it makes things easier! o:)

in this case, use the distributive rule :smile:
a. The lines through the vertices of a triangle ABC perpendicular to the opposite sides meet in a point.

hint: choose a suitable origin :wink:

how should i solve the first task then?

use the distributive rule :smile:

haha ok i feel silly now. I'm still stuck on a., though.

furor celtica said:
haha ok i feel silly now.

he he :biggrin:
I'm still stuck on a., though.

hint: (c - b).(a - 0) :wink:

really not seeing it! what do you mean by 'suitable origin'? And what is the end result I'm looking for, exactly?

what is the geometric meaning (in words) of (c - b).(a - 0) = 0 ? :wink:

vector BC is perpendicular to the position vector of A

ok, and how would you choose the position of O so as to apply that to the question? :wink:
furor celtica said:

take O and A as the same point?

furor celtica said:
take O and A as the same point?

how does that help? :confused:

you want OA to be a line

gnaaargh its your fault being all mysterious. i really don't see it man, I've been going over this question for ages so I'm probably missing the really obvious, but could you just be a bit clearer?

furor celtica said:
Prove that, if (c - b).a = 0 and (c - a).b = 0, then (b - a).c = 0. Show that this can be used to prove the following geometric results:

how would you use vectors to define the line through vertex A perpendicular to the opposite side, BC?

1. What is the definition of perpendicular vectors?

Perpendicular vectors are two vectors that intersect at a right angle, creating a 90 degree angle between them. This means that their dot product is equal to 0.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are perpendicular?

To determine if two vectors are perpendicular, you can use the dot product formula. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the vectors are perpendicular. Another way is to check if the angle between the vectors is 90 degrees.

3. What is the relationship between perpendicular vectors and triangles?

In a triangle, the perpendicular vectors are used to determine the altitude or height of the triangle. They are also used to find the area of a triangle through the formula A = (1/2)bh, where b is the base and h is the height (determined by the perpendicular vectors).

4. How are perpendicular vectors used in a tetrahedron?

In a tetrahedron, perpendicular vectors are used to find the height, base, and volume of the shape. They are also important in determining the angles between the faces of the tetrahedron.

5. Can perpendicular vectors be in the same plane?

No, perpendicular vectors cannot be in the same plane. If two vectors are in the same plane, then their dot product will not be equal to 0 and they will not form a 90 degree angle.