Application of the cross product: max height of z?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of z so that two conduits, with diameters of 1 ft. and 2 ft., can pass without interference. The solution involves using the center lines of the conduits and a unit vector to determine the distance between them. The equations ABxCD and dot product with vector AC are used to solve for z.
brinethery

Homework Statement

http://www.scribd.com/doc/82645310

In Figure 3-31, the lines AB and CD are the center lines of two conduits 1 ft. and 2 ft. in diameter respectively. Determine the maximum value of z so that the two may pass without interference. Conduit CD must pass under AB.

Homework Equations

ABxCD

The Attempt at a Solution

ABxCD, and then make this a unit vector. Then dot this unit vector with vector AC.

The question asks "what is the maximum height z can be...". The distance from the center to the radius of the two conduits when they're touching is going to be 1.5ft (since the diameters are 1ft and 2ft respectively). This means that I'll take the two vectors I dotted and set them equal to 1.5ft. Then I'll solve for z.

Let me know if this is wrong in any way :-)

Update:

Here is what I have so far

http://www.scribd.com/doc/82663003

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I did this correctly. I'm trying to solve for z, and I have two equations set up, but I'm not quite sure what to do next.

1. What is the cross product and how is it related to finding the max height of z?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that results in a vector perpendicular to two given vectors. This vector can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of a surface or object, making it useful in calculating maximum height or distance.

2. How does the cross product help in finding the max height of z for a given object?

By finding the cross product of two vectors, one can determine the perpendicular component of the object's motion. This perpendicular component is crucial in calculating the maximum height reached by the object in question.

3. Can the cross product be applied to any object or surface to determine its max height?

Yes, the cross product can be applied to any object or surface, as long as there are two given vectors that describe the object's motion or position. It can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Is the cross product the only method for finding max height of z?

No, there are other methods such as using equations of motion or calculus, but the cross product is a useful and straightforward method for determining the max height of z in many cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using the cross product to find max height of z?

One limitation is that the cross product can only be applied to three-dimensional objects or surfaces. It also assumes that the motion of the object is in a straight line, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it requires accurate and precise measurements of the given vectors to obtain an accurate result.