Solubility - solubility product

In summary, In both cases the solubility of the salt is calculated by taking the solubility product and solving for the unknown.
carle
Hello! Two questions that I would like to get some help with. I'm translating these so I hope I get it right.

1. The solubility of cobalt(II)hydroxide is 5.4*10^-6 moles/dm^3 in water.
i) What is the solubility product?
ii) What is the solubility of cobalt(II)hydroxide if pH is buffered to 10.43?

In i) I've calculated Ks to 6.3*10^-16 which is correct. The answer in ii) is 8.6*10^-9.

2. pH in a saturated magnesium hydroxide solution is 10.52. Calculate the solubility product for magnesium hydroxide.

The answer is 1.8*10^-11.

I've tried to solve them for a long time but I can't get it right. I need some help on how to approach problems like these.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show how you tried to solve, we will start from there.

Borek said:
Show how you tried to solve, we will start from there.

i) The reaction will be Co(OH)2 ⇔ Co2+ + 2OH- so Ks = [Co2+][OH-]2 which gives (5.4*10-6)*(2*5,4*10-6)2 = 6,3*10-16.

ii) pH is 10.43 so pOH = 3.57 and [OH-] = 10-3.57. I think that I need to do some kind of schedule between the mole ratios, because I can see that the concentration ratio between Co2+ + 2OH- is 1:2. But I don't know how to proceed.

The reaction will be Mg(OH)2 ⇔ Mg2+ +2OH-. We know that pH = 10.52 so [OH-] = 10-3.48. Ks = [Mg2+][OH-]2, but once again I don't know how to proceed with the concentration ratios.

Concentration ratios are important only when the salt itself is the only source of all ions. In both questions here it is enough to solve Ksp for the unknown and to plug known concentration in.

Borek said:
Concentration ratios are important only when the salt itself is the only source of all ions. In both questions here it is enough to solve Ksp for the unknown and to plug known concentration in.

Hm.. but in 2) [Mg2+ is unknown, how do I calculate that?

Exactly as I told you. [Mg2+] is the only unknown. You know [OH-], you take Ksp from tables, plug and chug.

I feel like you are missing what the Ksp is and how it works. If the solution is saturated product of concentrations (taken to correct powers) equals Ksp - so if you know Ksp and you are given concentrations of all ions but one, you can calculate concentration of this one ion - always. When you deal with solubility you are not given concentrations, but you know from the dissolution stoichiometry how they related to each other, so you can calculate them all. But these are two different cases.

1. What is solubility and why is it important in chemistry?

Solubility is a measure of how much of a substance (solute) can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a given temperature. It is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the behavior of substances in solution, which is crucial in many chemical processes and reactions.

2. What is the solubility product and how is it determined?

The solubility product (Ksp) is a measure of the maximum amount of a substance that can dissolve in a given solvent at a specific temperature. It is determined experimentally by measuring the concentrations of the dissolved ions at equilibrium and using them to calculate the Ksp value.

3. How does temperature affect solubility?

In general, the solubility of solids increases with increasing temperature, while the solubility of gases decreases with increasing temperature. However, this can vary depending on the specific substances involved.

4. Can the solubility of a substance be changed?

Yes, the solubility of a substance can be changed by altering the temperature, pressure, or pH of the solution. Adding other substances, such as a common ion, can also affect the solubility of a substance.

5. How is the solubility of a substance represented in chemical equations?

The solubility of a substance is represented by its chemical formula followed by the state symbol (s for solid, l for liquid, g for gas, aq for aqueous solution). For example, the solubility of sodium chloride (NaCl) in water would be represented as NaCl(aq).