Waiting for tag.contextweb.com

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, there is a problem with forum pages loading slowly in Firefox due to a delay caused by the server "tag.contextweb.com." This delay occurs even when logged in and may be due to discrimination against Linux users. The solution is to refresh the page until an ad from a different server appears, or to navigate away and reload the page. Support has been contacted and the problem seems to be related to a data center move. However, the issue continues to occur and some users believe the website does not prioritize addressing it.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
At the moment, forum pages load very slowly in Firefox. The message "waiting for tag.contextweb.com" appears for a long time. Can Firefox be configured to skip loading anything from that server?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same delay - I'm using Chrome. But once I sign in, everything is fine.

I'm logged-in and I still get the delay. What paranoid theory can I find to explain this? Discrimination against Linux users?

This happens every day, all the time, logged in or not. Usually I refresh the page until I get an ad from a different server. Otherwise it takes minutes -- yes, minutes -- to load.

Same problem here.

Ben Niehoff said:
This happens every day, all the time, logged in or not.

I don't share that experience, but it's broken again right now - way too slow to be useable.

Ben Niehoff said:
This happens every day, all the time, logged in or not. Usually I refresh the page until I get an ad from a different server. Otherwise it takes minutes -- yes, minutes -- to load.

I've sent an email to support, stay tuned.

Seems fast now.

As of the last few minutes, I'm having the problem again.

If I navigate away while the page is stalled and reload the page, it usually loads a the normal speed.

I'm having the same trouble again (11:30 AM MST). Occasionally there is also a delay that displays a messages about waiting for amazon ads.

It's happening again. It happens all the time, I don't think they care about your complaints.

It's happening to me too at the moment.

Perhaps Ben and I waste too much time on the internet.

It happens here too. It takes forever to load.

Stephen Tashi said:
Perhaps Ben and I waste too much time on the internet.

Waiting for contextweb to load, yes.

As a temporary measure I have removed the ad service

What is "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com"?

"Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" is a common issue that occurs when a webpage is trying to load an advertisement from the ContextWeb ad network. It means that the webpage is waiting for the ad to load, but for some reason, it is taking longer than expected.

Why is "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" taking so long?

There are a few possible reasons why "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" may be taking longer than expected. It could be due to a slow internet connection, technical issues with the ad server, or a high volume of ad requests.

Does "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" affect webpage performance?

Yes, "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" can affect webpage performance because it can delay the loading of the webpage. This can result in a slower browsing experience for the user.

How can I fix "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com"?

If you are experiencing "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" on a webpage, there is not much you can do to fix it. This issue is typically caused by factors outside of your control, such as a slow internet connection or technical issues with the ad server. The best course of action is to wait for the ad to load or try refreshing the webpage.

Is "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" harmful to my computer?

No, "Waiting for tag.contextweb.com" is not harmful to your computer. It is simply a common issue that occurs when a webpage is trying to load an advertisement from the ContextWeb ad network. It does not pose any threat to your computer or personal information.