Help explaining the ion-electron recombination process

In summary: The difference is that initial state might not be an eigen state of your system, so you would probably end up with a superposition of frequencies being emitted. But since all of these will be nearly degenerate, it won't really matter.In summary, when a free electron finds itself in the vicinity of an ion, it will spontaneously emit light in the form of a series of spherical harmonics. This process is not entirely predictable, but it does conserve energy and angular momentum.
papernuke
I don't know the process in which a free electron finds its way back down to the ground state of a hydrogen ion and thus forming a neutral hydrogen atom.

I have tried my hand at Googling the topic, but I can't seem to find any detailed websites about the electron-ion recombination for hydrogen H ions (a proton).

Could someone please help explain the process or direct to a link?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A free electron can still be decomposed into spherical harmonics around an ion. So it's the same process as electron simply going from a higher energy level to a lower one. The difference is that initial state might not be an eigen state of your system, so you would probably end up with a superposition of frequencies being emitted. But since all of these will be nearly degenerate, it won't really matter.

So in terms of the energy levels, is it like simply having the new electron start at n=infinity or some other high n and undergoes transitions down?

K^2 said:
The difference is that initial state might not be an eigen state of your system, so you would probably end up with a superposition of frequencies being emitted. But since all of these will be nearly degenerate, it won't really matter.
And could you please explain this bit again in simpler terms?

I don't think a transition has to be from one energy level to the next one up or down. It can be almost any jump, especially when moving down energy levels. I think at least.

Drakkith said:
I don't think a transition has to be from one energy level to the next one up or down. It can be almost any jump, especially when moving down energy levels. I think at least.
So long as conserved quantities are conserved, yes. So angular momentum, for example, has to change by one per emitted photon.

papermuke said:
And could you please explain this bit again in simpler terms?
Only certain states can be written as specific l,m,n combination. An arbitrary state has to be written as some linear combination of these. Energy an arbitrary state needs to lose to go to ground state also isn't going to be exactly equal to any of the available transitions. But that's kind of the point of the quantum mechanics. You can emit a photon that's in superposition of several different energy states. And that's what will have to happen as free electron gets captured.

1. What is ion-electron recombination?

Ion-electron recombination is a process where an ion and a free electron combine to form a neutral atom or molecule. This process occurs when the ion and electron are in close proximity to each other and there is a favorable energy exchange between them.

2. How does ion-electron recombination occur?

Ion-electron recombination can occur through several mechanisms, such as radiative recombination, dielectronic recombination, and three-body recombination. In radiative recombination, the ion and electron combine and emit a photon. In dielectronic recombination, the ion and electron first form an excited state before combining to form a neutral atom. In three-body recombination, a third particle, such as an atom or molecule, is involved in the process.

3. What factors affect the rate of ion-electron recombination?

The rate of ion-electron recombination depends on various factors, including the temperature and density of the surrounding medium, the energy of the ion and electron, and the presence of any catalysts or inhibitors. These factors can influence the likelihood of the ion and electron coming into close proximity and the energy exchange between them.

4. What are the applications of ion-electron recombination?

Ion-electron recombination plays a crucial role in a variety of natural and industrial processes. For example, it is an important process in the formation and evolution of stars and planets. In industry, it is used in techniques such as mass spectrometry and plasma processing. It also has applications in fields such as atmospheric science, astrophysics, and nuclear physics.

5. How can ion-electron recombination be studied?

Scientists use a variety of experimental and theoretical techniques to study ion-electron recombination. These include spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and computer simulations. By analyzing the energy levels, reaction rates, and other parameters involved in the process, scientists can gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms of ion-electron recombination and its role in various natural and industrial processes.