Silicon Dioxide surface area

In summary: You multiplied wrong, probably because you forgot to move the decimal place over 6 places when converting from kg to g.
djkinney

Homework Statement

Grains of fine California beach sand are approximately spheres with an average radius of 50 μm and are made of silicon dioxide, which has a density of 2.6 × 103 kg/m3. What mass of sand grains would have a total surface area (the total area of all the individual spheres) equal to the surface area of a cube 1.1 m on an edge?

2. The attempt at a solution

1) First, find the surface area of the cube:
A = 6s² = 6 * (1.1 m)² = 7.26 m²
2) Next, find the surface area of one sand grain:
A = 4∏r² = 4∏ * (50 µm)² = 31,416 µm²
3) How many grains of sand equal the area of the cube.
7.26 m²/ 31,416 µm² * (1,000,000 µm/m)² = 231,092,437 grains of sand
4) Find the volume of one grain of sand.
V = (4/3)∏r³ = (4/3)∏(50 µm)³ = 523,599 µm³
5) How many grains of sand is in that cube weigh 2600 kg.
1.00 m³/523,598 µm³ * (1,000,000 µm/m)³ = 1,909,859,228,000 pieces of sand weighs 2600 kg
6) How much does each piece of sand weigh.
2600 kg/1,909,859,228,000 pieces * 1000 g/kg = 1.36E-6 g
7) How much does 231,092,437 grains of sand weigh?
1.81 E -6 g * 231,092,437 = 315 g

Okay, now the problem is that it says my answer is wrong!? I must have done something wrong. I'm thinking that maybe in step 5 where I rounded the last 1,909,859,228,"000" three digits off. Is this that big of a problem to throw my answer off? If not can you help me find what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check it all, but the logic looks correct. However, you multiplied wrong in step 7.
1.81*2.31 = 4.18

phyzguy said:
I didn't check it all, but the logic looks correct. However, you multiplied wrong in step 7.
1.81*2.31 = 4.18

Wait why would I do that?

I'm saying that in your last step, 1.81 E -6 g * 231,092,437 = 418g, not 315g.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. It seems like you have followed the correct steps to solve the problem. However, I believe the error may lie in the conversion from micrometers to meters in step 5. You have used a conversion factor of (1,000,000 µm/m)³, but it should be (1,000,000 µm/m)⁶ since you are converting from µm³ to m³. This may account for the discrepancy in your final answer.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your homework!

Best,

1. What is the definition of Silicon Dioxide surface area?

Silicon Dioxide surface area refers to the total area of the surface of a material that is composed of silicon dioxide molecules. It is a measure of the available surface for chemical reactions and interactions to occur.

2. How is the surface area of Silicon Dioxide measured?

The surface area of Silicon Dioxide is typically measured using techniques such as gas adsorption, mercury porosimetry, or laser diffraction. These methods involve measuring the amount of gas or liquid that can be adsorbed onto the surface of the Silicon Dioxide material.

3. What factors affect the surface area of Silicon Dioxide?

The surface area of Silicon Dioxide can be influenced by various factors such as particle size, pore volume, and surface roughness. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical environment can also impact the surface area.

4. Why is the surface area of Silicon Dioxide important in scientific research?

The surface area of Silicon Dioxide is important in scientific research because it can affect the reactivity and properties of the material. A larger surface area allows for more interactions and can enhance the material's performance in applications such as catalysis, filtration, and drug delivery.

5. How does the surface area of Silicon Dioxide impact its physical and chemical properties?

The surface area of Silicon Dioxide can greatly impact its physical and chemical properties. A larger surface area can increase the material's strength, reactivity, and adsorption capacity. It can also affect properties such as thermal stability, electrical conductivity, and optical properties.