Wavelengths in fused silica and in silicon for photons

In summary, the problem involves computing the wavelengths in fused silica and silicon for photons with free-space wavelengths of 800 nm, 1300 nm, and 1550 nm. The textbook does not provide a specific equation, but the suggested equation of ω0=(λ f)/( ∏ω) is found under a section about Gaussian light-beams. The user is unsure if this is the correct equation and is also missing information about the index of refraction for the materials. They need to understand how the wavelength of light is affected by the index of refraction in order to solve the problem.
SpiderMan1988

Homework Statement

Compute the wavelengths in fused silica and in silicon for photons whose free-space wavelengths are 800 nm, 1300 nm, and 1550 nm.

Homework Equations

This is the problem, I'm not sure what equation to use and the textbook does not seem to say, well what little I have of the text because I was forced to take pictures from a classmate's book.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling the equation might be ω0=(λ f)/( ∏ω) but this is under a section about Gaussian light-beams, something the problem makes no reference to anyway. I just need the equation and I can solve the rest from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
SpiderMan1988 said:

Homework Statement

Compute the wavelengths in fused silica and in silicon for photons whose free-space wavelengths are 800 nm, 1300 nm, and 1550 nm.

Homework Equations

This is the problem, I'm not sure what equation to use and the textbook does not seem to say, well what little I have of the text because I was forced to take pictures from a classmate's book.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling the equation might be ω0=(λ f)/( ∏ω) but this is under a section about Gaussian light-beams, something the problem makes no reference to anyway. I just need the equation and I can solve the rest from there.
Do you know the index of refraction for fused silica and silicon ?

How does the wavelength of light depend upon the index of refraction of the material that the light is passing through?

What is the difference between wavelengths in fused silica and in silicon for photons?

The main difference between the two materials is their refractive index, which affects the speed of light within the material. Fused silica has a lower refractive index compared to silicon, resulting in longer wavelengths for photons in fused silica.

Why are wavelengths in fused silica longer than in silicon for photons?

As mentioned before, the refractive index of fused silica is lower than that of silicon. This means that light travels slower in fused silica, leading to longer wavelengths for photons compared to silicon.

How do the wavelengths in fused silica and in silicon affect the transmission of light?

The longer wavelengths in fused silica result in a lower transmission of light compared to silicon. This is because longer wavelengths have a higher chance of being absorbed or scattered as they pass through the material.

Can the refractive index of fused silica and silicon be changed to alter the wavelengths of photons?

Yes, the refractive index of both materials can be altered by changing the composition or structure of the material. This can be done through techniques such as doping or annealing, which can result in different wavelengths for photons.

What other factors besides refractive index can affect the wavelengths of photons in fused silica and silicon?

The temperature and pressure of the material can also affect the wavelengths of photons. Additionally, the size and shape of the material can cause changes in the wavelengths of photons due to interference effects.