TI-89 Basic Physics Settings/Calculations Help

In summary, the user is regretting their decision to purchase a TI-89 titanium calculator as it is not giving them the desired result for a simple physics equation. They have tried adjusting the settings and seeking help from their professor and online sources, but no solution has been found. However, another user suggests changing the calculator's settings or using a decimal point to get an approximate answer.
TheodorableM
Ok, new to the forum and taking my first real science credit physics course (I have taken one prior but it doesn't count towards the major). I'm in somewhat of a bind here as i just got a TI-89 titanium thinking that more was inherently better, I am now regretting this decision. When i go to do a simple equation such as finding a projectiles velocity in the x direction on a plane, i would enter the equation 950cos(75), (final speed being 950m/s, and the angle being 75deg.) i get this: 475*(√(3)-1)*√(2)/2. Now, I've looked through the manual, and do believe i am on the proper settings. I have also had the professor take a look at it but he couldn't figure it out either. After some extensive googling i figured someone here could help me out.

Thank you.

Issue Resolved

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
For future reference, for anybody else that has this problem, here are two ways to fix this:

In the Mode settings, change Exact/Approx to Approximate.

Alternatively, if you add a decimal point instead, like 950.cos(75), the decimal value will be returned as opposed to the exact value with radicals.

Another way to get around this is if you use "Auto" as your Exact/Approx mode and you want to see the approximate answer, hit the green diamond key and then enter instead of just enter. This will display the approximate answer.

:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your issue. The TI-89 is a powerful calculator, but it can be overwhelming to use at first. It sounds like you may have the calculator set to display answers in exact form instead of decimal form. To change this setting, go to the "Mode" menu and select "Approximate." This should give you the decimal answer you are looking for.

Additionally, for physics calculations, it may be helpful to use the "Units" feature on the calculator. This will ensure that your answers are in the correct units and can make your calculations easier to understand.

I hope this helps and good luck with your physics course!

1. How do I set up my TI-89 calculator for basic physics calculations?

To set up your TI-89 calculator for basic physics calculations, you will need to enter the Physics Settings menu. This can be done by pressing the APPS button, scrolling to Physics Made Easy, and then selecting Settings. From here, you can customize your calculator's settings for various physics applications.

2. What are the most commonly used physics settings on the TI-89 calculator?

The most commonly used physics settings on the TI-89 calculator include Unit System (choosing between SI or US units), Coordinate System (choosing between Cartesian or Polar coordinates), and Angle Units (choosing between degrees or radians). These settings can be found in the Physics Settings menu.

3. How do I perform basic physics calculations on the TI-89 calculator?

To perform basic physics calculations on the TI-89 calculator, you can use the built-in physics functions and constants. These can be accessed by pressing the 2nd button, followed by the CATALOG button. From here, you can search for the desired function or constant and use it in your calculations.

4. Can I customize my own physics functions on the TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can customize your own physics functions on the TI-89 calculator. This can be done by pressing the 2nd button, followed by the APPS button. From here, select Physics Made Easy and then Custom Functions. You can then enter your own function and save it for future use.

5. How do I solve physics problems using the TI-89 calculator?

To solve physics problems using the TI-89 calculator, you can use the built-in equation solver. This can be accessed by pressing the 2nd button, followed by the EQUATION button. From here, you can enter the known values and the calculator will solve for the unknown variable. You can also use the Solve function in the Math menu for more complex equations.