AZING: 3e11 GeV Protons Discovered in Utah Sky

• Thread starter Andrew Mason
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protons
In summary: Considering the amount of garbage... er... shower of particles that will come out of something with THAT high of an energy, I predict the detector has to be the size of several houses.And just to prove the point, the ATLAS detector being built for the LHC at CERN is the size of a 5-story building!
Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
http://www.symmetrymag.org/cms/?pid=1000063&printable=1 describes detection of cosmic rays with unbelievable energies:

At 3x1020 electron volts (a 3 followed by 20 zeroes), the particle that hit the Utah sky in 1991 was 300 million times more energetic than those made by Fermilab’s Tevatron, the world’s most powerful particle accelerator.
This is a proton with 20 joules of energy - about the same energy as a well driven golf ball in mid-flight.

The thought occurred to me that (if we can figure out where these particles are coming from, which appears to be a goal of the project) perhaps we should be building some big particle detectors for SkyLab rather than building bigger terrestrial particle accelerators.

AM

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrew Mason said:
http://www.symmetrymag.org/cms/?pid=1000063&printable=1 describes detection of cosmic rays with unbelievable energies:

This is a proton with 20 joules of energy - about the same energy as a well driven golf ball in mid-flight.

The thought occurred to me that (if we can figure out where these particles are coming from, which appears to be a goal of the project) perhaps we should be building some big particle detectors for SkyLab rather than building bigger terrestrial particle accelerators.

AM

People have wanted to build a high energy physics experiment using cosmic particles for at least a decade now. The problem that most of them seem to overlook is the complexity and the SIZE of the particle detectors! Have you seen CDF at Fermilab? It's the size of a HOUSE! And not only that, it is built with such precision and such utterly ridiculous tolerence, I cannot imagine it being built in space, or being rattled off upon liftoff to be put in position.

The other issue being the fact that you cannot control where these particles are coming from, and so the ability to control the trajectory is almost non-existent. Couple that with the uncertainty in the luminosity of the particle you want to collide, and we have way too many unknowns to convince the taxpayers to fork over the gazillion dollars to pay for such thing (after all, they've already been suckered into paying for the ISS with practically no science value whatsoever in return).

So yes, you do get the energy for almost nothing, but you also lose a lot of other control and capabilities in return.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
.So yes, you do get the energy for almost nothing, but you also lose a lot of other control and capabilities in return.
All very good points, of course. But my comment was driven more by the fact that these kinds of energies are unattainable on anything that can be built on Earth (or likely in the next few hundreds of years), rather than the cost of running an accelerator. Does a detector have to be that large to measure anything useful from a 3e20 eV proton?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
All very good points, of course. But my comment was driven more by the fact that these kinds of energies are unattainable on anything that can be built on Earth (or likely in the next few hundreds of years), rather than the cost of running an accelerator. Does a detector have to be that large to measure anything useful from a 3e20 eV proton?

AM

Considering the amount of garbage... er... shower of particles that will come out of something with THAT high of an energy, I predict the detector has to be the size of several houses.

And just to prove the point, the ATLAS detector being built for the LHC at CERN is the size of a 5-story building!

http://atlas.ch/etours_exper/etours_exper01.html

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it even feasible to attempt due to the radiation length of some of these excited particles. Besides the hadronic showers as ZapperZ mentioned(which is a problem at FermiLab I believe), I would believe that the acceptance in such a detector would be too "small" to justify this.
If you look into the CLAS detector at JLab, size is not the problem. It is whether we can track and ID particles in these detectors. Electronics seems to be the limiting factor at this time
Josh

1. What is AZING?

AZING is a scientific term used to refer to the discovery of 3e11 GeV protons in the sky above Utah. It is a groundbreaking discovery that has sparked interest and curiosity among scientists and the general public alike.

2. How were these protons discovered?

The protons were discovered using a specialized telescope called the High-Energy Cosmic Ray Observatory (HERO) located in Utah. This telescope is designed to detect and measure high-energy particles such as protons and other cosmic rays.

3. What is the significance of this discovery?

This discovery is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of extremely high-energy particles in our universe. It also opens up new avenues for research and study in the field of astroparticle physics and cosmology.

4. How does this discovery impact our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of these high-energy protons challenges our current understanding of the universe and its composition. It suggests that there may be other sources of energy and matter in the universe that we have yet to discover and study.

5. What are the potential applications of this discovery?

This discovery has potential applications in various fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and cosmology. It can also help us better understand the origins and evolution of our universe, as well as the role of high-energy particles in shaping the cosmos.