Polymath or Matlab non-linear algebraic solver

In summary, the individual is having trouble inputting a non-linear algebraic equation into Polymath and Matlab to solve for x. They are seeking help and have provided a reference equation and a recommendation to use the fzero() function. The individual also suggests using parentheses and array operators exclusively to avoid software parsing errors. However, upon plotting the equation, it appears that there may not be any real solutions for x.
member 392791
Hello,

I am having difficulty inputting a non linear algebraic equation into polymath to solve

for reference the equation is

x*(100-.5*x)^0.5/(15-x)/(20-.5 * x)^0.5 - 87.824 == 0

and I want to solve for x, but haven't gotten anything. Also I don't know how to program it into matlab. Anyone that can help?? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be that the software is having trouble parsing your equation as it is written. Don't skimp on parentheses.

Unless you explicitly want matrix power or matrix multiply, I recommend using the array operators exclusively.
Code:
fun = @(x) x.*(100-0.5.*x).^0.5./(15-x)/(20-0.5.*x).^0.5 - 87.824;
When I plotted this function, I did not find any real solutions for x. If it has any, they are complex.

I understand your frustration with trying to input a non-linear algebraic equation into a solver like Polymath or Matlab. Non-linear equations can be complex and challenging to solve, even for experienced mathematicians. One possible solution is to break the equation down into smaller, simpler parts and solve them individually using numerical methods. Another option is to seek help from a mathematician or an experienced user of the software who may be able to provide guidance on how to properly input and solve the equation. Additionally, there are online resources and forums where you can ask for assistance from other users who may have encountered similar problems. Keep in mind that solving non-linear equations often requires a combination of mathematical knowledge and programming skills, so it may take some time and effort to find a solution. Don't give up, and keep exploring different approaches until you find a successful solution.

1. What is Polymath or Matlab non-linear algebraic solver?

Polymath and Matlab non-linear algebraic solvers are computer programs designed to solve systems of non-linear equations. These equations cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods and require use of numerical techniques.

2. How does the solver work?

The solver works by first converting the non-linear equations into a system of linear equations using iterative methods. It then uses numerical algorithms to solve the linear system and obtain a solution for the non-linear equations.

3. What types of problems can be solved using this solver?

This solver can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including chemical kinetics, biochemical reactions, and other complex systems involving non-linear equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using this solver?

While the solver is powerful and can handle a variety of non-linear systems, it may struggle with extremely large or complex systems. It is also important to ensure that the equations are properly formulated for the solver to work effectively.

5. Can the solver be used for optimization problems?

Yes, the solver can also be used for optimization problems, where the goal is to find the minimum or maximum value of a function. The solver uses similar techniques to solve these types of problems.