From todays Daily Telegraph in the UK

• Thread starter Adrian Baker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary: Views: 9654In summary, Three sisters have each had children while still at school, the youngest at the age of 12. The eldest, Natasha, is 15 and still in school. Their mother blames the school system for their predicament, claiming that more sex education should start at an earlier age. The family lives rent-free in a three-bedroom council house, which they claim is too cramped.
Adrian Baker
Sisters pregnant at 12, 14 and 16. So what does their mother do? She blames the school!

Three sisters have each had children while still at school, the youngest at the age of 12.

Jemma, Jade and Natasha Williams, who receive benefits totalling more than £31,000 a year, are raising their babies alone after they became pregnant within three months of each other.

The sisters, aged 12, 14 and 16 when they gave birth, live in Derby with their twice-divorced mother, who holds the education system responsible for their plight.

"I blame the schools - sex education for young girls should be better," said Julie Atkins, 38. "More and more kids are getting pregnant younger and younger and sex education needs to start a lot earlier.

"If I could turn the clock back I would definitely prefer them to not have children as their education is so important. They've all ruined their lives because they are all too young to have children."

Jemma, the youngest sister, was the first to become pregnant, giving birth to her son T-Jay in February last year. Then, in November, Natasha, 16, who had already had two miscarriages and an abortion, had Amani. The next month, Jade, 14, gave birth to daughter Lita.

Jemma and Jade, who is about to take her GCSEs, are still in school.

The family lives rent-free in a three-bedroom council house, which they claim is too cramped. Their mother claims benefit for Jade and Jemma, now 15, as well as for their children. However, she said that day-to-day life was a struggle.

"It's really difficult to survive on what we have," she said. "My average shopping bill is £90 a week, and then there's all that extra stuff like toys, nappies and medicine.

"The house is far too small. I have to share a bedroom with Natasha and Amani which is very cramped. Hopefully we may be able to get a bigger house, but who knows?"

Mrs Atkins, who had her first child at 20, said she was astonished that her daughters had become pregnant so young. "It just doesn't seem possible," she said.

"I was so shocked when I found out about Jemma. She thought I would hit the roof and didn't tell me for seven months. I only found out when I took her to buy a new bra and as she was being measured I saw her huge bump."

Jemma said: "I didn't tell anyone because I was too scared and didn't know what to do. I only told my boyfriend, who was 14 at the time, but I didn't want to have an abortion.

"He was my first love. He was great to start with, but he's got a new girlfriend now. I was so frightened when I went into hospital to have my baby. It was so painful and I was in labour for three days."

Jade said she had been determined not to do the same, after seeing all the dirty nappies and her sister enduring sleepless nights. But she became pregnant after "a one-night stand".

She said: "It was just one of those things really. I wasn't using contraception and I suppose I just thought it wouldn't happen to me."

Natasha said her pregnancy, while unplanned, had pleased her. "I don't really want to be anything but a full-time mum," she said.

The father, 38, came to see the child "from time to time", but "he's Asian and still lives with his parents, so they don't know about me or Amani".

Earlier this year, the Government's tax and benefit system was said to be responsible for making Britain the single-parent capital of the world.

The Centre for Policy Studies think-tank said married couples on average weekly salaries were only £1 better off than single mothers who never worked and had no contact with the father of their children.

So that's where all my bloody tax money goes!

Physics news on Phys.org
T-Jay, Amani, and Lita.

That says it all.

I'd say: Sex education is a privilage, not a requirment

Combining two threads here:

Yorkshire kids to Yorkshire mother, on Fairy commercial:

"Mummy, mummy! 'Ow come tha hands are so soft?"
"What dust tha expect? Ah'm only twelve!"

Why can't the mother teach her children on the subject and has to expect the school to?

brewnog said:
Combining two threads here:

Yorkshire kids to Yorkshire mother, on Fairy commercial:

"Mummy, mummy! 'Ow come tha hands are so soft?"
Bloody hell! Doesn't this woman know that any education, and most importantly sex, starts at home? How can she possibly blame the school system for something that she obviously neglected? At least her sharing a bedroom with one of them means that that one might have less chance of a recurrence. My 11-year-old grand niece became a mother, but in my family it's to be expected and is in fact not due to lack of education. I don't think that she actually consulted with her mother about it beforehand, but it wasn't an accident. (And she is a very good mother who is continuing her education.)

These parents are stupid. Sex education says that people should have sexual relations when their morals tell them. They do not say when. The mother just doesn't want responsibility for not telling her children about this kind of stuff.

In your family it is to be expected for a child of 11 to have a baby?? :eek: :eek:

Adrian Baker said:
Then, in November, Natasha, 16, who had already had two miscarriages and an abortion

:bugeye: And it didn't occur to her sometime after the first or second miscarriage that maybe this child needed to be taught about birth control and promptly started on it?

Soilwork said:
In your family it is to be expected for a child of 11 to have a baby?? :eek: :eek:
By extrapolation to her generation, yes. Her mother had her oldest sister when she was 16. She also is a very good mother, who has raised a couple of fantastic children and helped to raise 3 grandchildren. The 11 year-old is now 14, and helps to raise her sister's 2 kids as well as attending to her studies and helping around the home. My niece's common-law husband and the elder daughter's legal husband all live there, so there's no lack of adult input.

brewnog said:
..Roflmao!

did you see picture of one of the girls ? no wonder father run away.

stoned said:
did you see picture of one of the girls ? no wonder father run away.
Stoned, are you in the UK somewhere? Where'd you find the picture?

sorry if i offended anyone :redface:
Zoobyshoe, i found that article and picture today on a different forum.

stoned said:
sorry if i offended anyone :redface:
Zoobyshoe, i found that article and picture today on a different forum.
No, I don't think anyone's offended. It's just that Adrian Baker didn't give a link, so I figured you might live where you could read the actual paper.

zoobyshoe said:
No, I don't think anyone's offended. It's just that Adrian Baker didn't give a link, so I figured you might live where you could read the actual paper.

I would have done, but you need to register with the Daily Telegraph to access their website news stories and archive - a bit of a pain really. The article was taken straight from their site and was in yesterday's paper.

Adrian Baker said:
I would have done
Adrian, to go off topic for just a second, I can't believe how much your avatar looks like a dancing beet.

Adrian Baker said:
Sisters pregnant at 12, 14 and 16. So what does their mother do? She blames the school!

Three sisters have each had children while still at school, the youngest at the age of 12.

Jemma, Jade and Natasha Williams, who receive benefits totalling more than £31,000 a year, are raising their babies alone after they became pregnant within three months of each other.

The sisters, aged 12, 14 and 16 when they gave birth, live in Derby with their twice-divorced mother, who holds the education system responsible for their plight.

"I blame the schools - sex education for young girls should be better," said Julie Atkins, 38. "More and more kids are getting pregnant younger and younger and sex education needs to start a lot earlier.

"If I could turn the clock back I would definitely prefer them to not have children as their education is so important. They've all ruined their lives because they are all too young to have children."

Jemma, the youngest sister, was the first to become pregnant, giving birth to her son T-Jay in February last year. Then, in November, Natasha, 16, who had already had two miscarriages and an abortion, had Amani. The next month, Jade, 14, gave birth to daughter Lita.

Jemma and Jade, who is about to take her GCSEs, are still in school.

The family lives rent-free in a three-bedroom council house, which they claim is too cramped. Their mother claims benefit for Jade and Jemma, now 15, as well as for their children. However, she said that day-to-day life was a struggle.

"It's really difficult to survive on what we have," she said. "My average shopping bill is £90 a week, and then there's all that extra stuff like toys, nappies and medicine.

"The house is far too small. I have to share a bedroom with Natasha and Amani which is very cramped. Hopefully we may be able to get a bigger house, but who knows?"

Mrs Atkins, who had her first child at 20, said she was astonished that her daughters had become pregnant so young. "It just doesn't seem possible," she said.

"I was so shocked when I found out about Jemma. She thought I would hit the roof and didn't tell me for seven months. I only found out when I took her to buy a new bra and as she was being measured I saw her huge bump."

Jemma said: "I didn't tell anyone because I was too scared and didn't know what to do. I only told my boyfriend, who was 14 at the time, but I didn't want to have an abortion.

"He was my first love. He was great to start with, but he's got a new girlfriend now. I was so frightened when I went into hospital to have my baby. It was so painful and I was in labour for three days."

Jade said she had been determined not to do the same, after seeing all the dirty nappies and her sister enduring sleepless nights. But she became pregnant after "a one-night stand".

She said: "It was just one of those things really. I wasn't using contraception and I suppose I just thought it wouldn't happen to me."

Natasha said her pregnancy, while unplanned, had pleased her. "I don't really want to be anything but a full-time mum," she said.

The father, 38, came to see the child "from time to time", but "he's Asian and still lives with his parents, so they don't know about me or Amani".

Earlier this year, the Government's tax and benefit system was said to be responsible for making Britain the single-parent capital of the world.

The Centre for Policy Studies think-tank said married couples on average weekly salaries were only £1 better off than single mothers who never worked and had no contact with the father of their children.

So that's where all my bloody tax money goes!

Jeebus christ. Nice to know the US doesn't seem isn't the only country where personal responsiblity is a myth. Blaming the school, you've got to be kidding me. Also, is it not illegal for a 38 year old man to be sleeping with a 16 year old?

Those are some seriously messed up kids.

Danger said:
Adrian, to go off topic for just a second, I can't believe how much your avatar looks like a dancing beet.

It was originally a Mr Bean Avatar that my 'friend' sent me - he thought it was a good likeness of me putting on my motorcycle leathers before a race (it is a struggle, and I'm quite an animated person!). I added a picture of my head (yes that's me) to make it realistic.

I agree franznietzsche - blaming the school!
The 'age of consent' in the UK is 16. Sex below that age is considered as rape - especially so if the girl is 13 or less. However, very rarely does the state get involved - other than to supply a free house and a lifetime of welfare!

franznietzsche said:
Blaming the school, you've got to be kidding me.
My suspicion is that the mother of the three girls is less confused about whose responsibilty sex education is, than about whose responsibility it is to secure an income. I wonder if deep down she doesn't feel she succeeded in getting the important lesson across to them that if you get pregnant, the government will take care of you.

wow, um, yeah. :uhh:
"well kids, this is how you put a condom on..."

Fibonacci

I was waiting at the bus stop near my house today, and noticed the girl sat down (probably no more than fourteen) was heavily pregnant. 'Hmm...' thinks I, and continue to wait. A few young children are running around in a loud and excited way, when one of the parents becomes a bit annoyed with this. "Come here T-jay!" she says... Nooooo, surely not?
I double checked the details of the story, and I don't think it could have been them, but seriousy, more 14yr old pregnancies and T-jays?

Wait, maybe I am confused here. But these people are complaining about receiving £31,000 a year? That is what, about 60k/yr US. I am no expert on the UK's cost of living, but that seems like a hell of a lot of money to receive.

mattmns said:
Wait, maybe I am confused here. But these people are complaining about receiving £31,000 a year? That is what, about 60k/yr US. I am no expert on the UK's cost of living, but that seems like a hell of a lot of money to receive.

As an individual, I'd be pretty happy to be earning a £31k salary, aged 21.

See
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13354131,00.html

For a picture of the proud mothers...

Personally, it really annoys me to see people like that, who expect the state to supply them with a living cause they can't/don't want/couldn't be a**ed to use birth control.

The first time I heard of this story (and other similar stories) I got so annoyed at the mentality of these spongers. But at the same time, if I was an single mother (which is unlikely seeing as I`m not female), with limited job prospects, and I was offered 30k to stay at home, or probably <20 k working in some factory. I know what I`d do.

The whole approach really needs to be changed to encourage people to get off welfare and back into work so they can contribute (in terms of tax etc.) to society. And learn that having a baby can't be regarded as a good career move!
Surely it would be better to supply childcare rather than 'free' money so that the mothers can go out and work.

PS

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Daily Telegraph and where is it based?

The Daily Telegraph is a British daily newspaper founded in 1855. It is based in London, United Kingdom.

2. How often is the Daily Telegraph published?

The Daily Telegraph is published every day, including Sundays.

3. Who owns the Daily Telegraph?

The Daily Telegraph is owned by Telegraph Media Group, which is controlled by the Barclay brothers.

4. Is the Daily Telegraph a conservative newspaper?

The Daily Telegraph has historically been seen as a conservative newspaper, but in recent years has shifted towards more centrist and liberal views.

5. Can I access the Daily Telegraph online?

Yes, the Daily Telegraph has an online version of their newspaper that can be accessed on their website or through their mobile app.