What Is the Frequency of Vibration When a Cube Is Released?

In summary, Oscillatory motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth between two points. It is characterized by a repeating pattern of movement, with the object passing through a central equilibrium position and reaching maximum displacement at either end. The motion is caused by a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring, that pulls the object back towards the equilibrium position. Oscillatory motion can be described using mathematical equations, such as the sine or cosine function, and is commonly seen in systems such as pendulums, springs, and waves. It is an important concept in physics and has many practical applications, including in timekeeping devices, musical instruments, and engineering designs.
dekoi
1.) A cube 1.50 cm on edge mounted on the end of strip that lies in vertical plane. Mass of strip is neglible, but the length of the strip is much larger than cube. The other end of strip is clamped on to a stationary frame. A horizontal force of 1.43 N applied to the cube is required to hold it 2.75 cm away from equilibrium. If the cube is released, what is the frequency of vibration?

Absolutely any hints would be appreciated.

2.)
A 2kg object is attached to a spring and placed on a horizontal, smooth surface. A horizontal force of 20N is required to hold the object at rest when it is pulled 0.2 m from equil. Object is released from rest with initial position of .2 m . Find:
Force Konstant
Frequency
Max speed.
Max acceleration.
Total Energy
Velocity when position is equal to one third of maximum value is 1.33 m/s.
Acceleration of object when its position is equal to one third of the maximum value.

The questions also had other parts. For these, i found that:
k= 100 N/m
f = 10 Hz
v = 1.4142 m/s
a = 9.99 m/s^2
The velocity when position is equal to one third of maximum value is 1.33 m/s.

However, how do i find the acceleration of object when its position is equal to one third of the maximum value?

Also, it wouldbe nice for someone to check my answers.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
dekoi said:
1.) A cube 1.50 cm on edge mounted on the end of strip that lies in vertical plane. Mass of strip is neglible, but the length of the strip is much larger than cube. The other end of strip is clamped on to a stationary frame. A horizontal force of 1.43 N applied to the cube is required to hold it 2.75 cm away from equilibrium. If the cube is released, what is the frequency of vibration?

Absolutely any hints would be appreciated.
I don't see any way to give useful hints if you don't tell us what you do understand about this problem or what you have tried. Clearly the "strip" is being considered like a spring. Do you know how to find the "spring constant"? If this were part of a differential equations course, you might then be expected to set up and solve the differential equation of motion. If not then you may have been given a formula for period based on the spring constant.

2.)
A 2kg object is attached to a spring and placed on a horizontal, smooth surface. A horizontal force of 20N is required to hold the object at rest when it is pulled 0.2 m from equil. Object is released from rest with initial position of .2 m . Find:
Force Konstant
Frequency
Max speed.
Max acceleration.
Total Energy
Velocity when position is equal to one third of maximum value is 1.33 m/s.
Acceleration of object when its position is equal to one third of the maximum value.

The questions also had other parts. For these, i found that:
k= 100 N/m
f = 10 Hz
v = 1.4142 m/s
a = 9.99 m/s^2
The velocity when position is equal to one third of maximum value is 1.33 m/s.

However, how do i find the acceleration of object when its position is equal to one third of the maximum value?

Also, it wouldbe nice for someone to check my answers.

Thank you very much.

It would have been simpler if you had told us what "k", "f", etc. mean!
I guess that "k" is what you called the "frequncy Konstant" and I would call the "spring constant".
Yes, 20 N/.2 m= 100 N/m.
No, I do NOT get 10Hz for the frequency but I do get "1.4142" (√(2)) for the maximum speed. And I get 10 m/s2, not "0.99" for the maximum acceleration.

Since you found the velocity when the position is 1/3 of its maximum, I presum that you found the time, t, when that happens (and I would argue that the question is ambiguous- there are two different answers to that question). You should be able to just plug that into the equation for acceleration.

If you could do all that for problem 2, why aren't you able to do problem 1? It's essentially the same.

I would like to provide the following response to the content about oscillatory motion:

1.) The frequency of vibration can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π * √(k/m), where k is the force constant and m is the mass of the cube. In this case, the force constant can be found by dividing the force applied (1.43 N) by the displacement from equilibrium (2.75 cm or 0.0275 m). This gives a force constant of 52 N/m. The mass of the cube is not given in the question, so we cannot calculate the frequency without that information.

2.) Based on the given information, we can calculate the force constant using the formula k = F/x, where F is the applied force (20 N) and x is the displacement from equilibrium (0.2 m). This gives a force constant of 100 N/m. Using the formula f = 1/2π * √(k/m), we can calculate the frequency of vibration. However, the mass of the object is not given in the question, so we cannot calculate the frequency without that information.

To find the maximum speed, we can use the formula v = Aω, where A is the amplitude (maximum displacement) and ω is the angular frequency, which can be calculated using the formula ω = 2πf. In this case, the amplitude is given as 0.2 m and the frequency can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π * √(k/m). The maximum speed is then equal to Aω = 0.2 * 2π * f.

To find the maximum acceleration, we can use the formula a = Aω^2, where ω is the angular frequency calculated earlier. The maximum acceleration is then equal to Aω^2 = 0.2 * (2πf)^2.

To find the total energy, we can use the formula E = 1/2kA^2, where k is the force constant and A is the amplitude. In this case, the total energy is equal to 1/2 * 100 * 0.2^2 = 2 J.

To find the acceleration of the object when its position is equal to one third of the maximum value, we can use the formula a = -ω^2x, where ω is the angular frequency

1. What is oscillatory motion?

Oscillatory motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system or object moves back and forth around a fixed point or equilibrium position. It is characterized by repetitive and regular cycles of motion, with the object returning to its starting position after each cycle.

2. What is the difference between oscillatory motion and simple harmonic motion?

Oscillatory motion refers to any type of periodic motion, while simple harmonic motion specifically refers to a type of oscillatory motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object. In simple harmonic motion, the object follows a sinusoidal pattern of motion.

3. What are some examples of oscillatory motion?

Some common examples of oscillatory motion include a pendulum, a mass on a spring, a swinging door, and a bouncing ball. In nature, examples of oscillatory motion include the motion of a leaf blowing in the wind and the motion of a vibrating guitar string.

4. How is the period of oscillatory motion related to the frequency?

The period of oscillatory motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion, while the frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. The two are inversely related, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

5. What factors affect the amplitude of oscillatory motion?

The amplitude of oscillatory motion is affected by the initial energy or force applied to the system, the mass of the object, and the strength of the restoring force. It is also affected by any external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance.