Fluid Mechanics - U-tube and mercury

In summary, the conversation discusses the rising of mercury in a U-shaped tube when water is poured into one arm. The equation p = density(water) x g x height is equated to p = density(Hg) x g x height, and the height for the right arm is found to be 14.7 mm. However, this answer is not correct and the conversation ends with the speaker asking for help in finding the difference in position of the mercury.
jkb
A U-shaped tube, open to the air on both ends, contains mercury. Water is poured into the left arm until the water column is 20.0 cm deep.

How far upward from its initial position does the mercury in the right arm rise?

So far, this is my work:

Using pressure = density(water) x g x height(water column) and neglecting atmospheric pressure as both sides would experience it, I equated that equation to p = density(Hg) x g x height as they would equal on the horizontal axis. I found the height to be 14.7 mm but that answer is not correct.

I am confused and have gone at this in a number of ways. I know that the value 14.7 is not the difference between the new position and the initial position and so I've kind of hit a road block. Any input or thought or help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it should be:
[tex]\rho_{w}h'g+\rho_{Hg}h'g=\rho_{Hg}hg[/tex]
where h'=20 cm and h is the height of the right arm.
in order to find the difference i think you need this equation:
x-h'=h-x
but I am not sure I am right here, I've done this stuff in high school two years ago.

Thank you for sharing your work so far. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic principles involved in this problem. However, there are a few things that could be causing your answer to be incorrect.

Firstly, when using the equation p = density x g x height, it is important to make sure that the units are consistent. In your case, you have used millimeters (mm) for the height of the water column, but you have not specified the units for the density of water. Depending on what value you used for the density of water, this could affect your final answer.

Secondly, it is important to consider the pressure at the bottom of the U-tube. Since the tube is open to the air on both ends, the pressure at the bottom of the tube will be equal to atmospheric pressure. This means that the pressure on both sides of the tube will be equal, and the equation p = density x g x height can be used to find the difference in height between the two sides of the tube.

Lastly, it is important to consider the properties of mercury and how they differ from water. Mercury is a much denser liquid than water, so the height of the mercury column will be significantly smaller than the height of the water column. This means that the difference in height between the two sides of the tube will not be equal to the height of the water column.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation p = density x g x height for both the water and the mercury, and then subtract the two equations to find the difference in height between the two sides of the tube. This will give you the correct answer for how far upward the mercury rises in the right arm of the U-tube.

I hope this helps you to understand the problem better and find the correct solution. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a U-tube and how is it used in fluid mechanics?

A U-tube is a simple device used to measure and study the behavior of fluids. It consists of a long tube bent into a U-shape, with one side filled with a fluid (such as mercury) and the other side left empty. The fluid in the tube will move and change levels as it responds to different pressures or forces applied to it, allowing for observation and analysis.

2. How does mercury behave in a U-tube and why is it commonly used in fluid mechanics experiments?

Mercury is a dense and highly responsive liquid, making it ideal for use in U-tube experiments. When subjected to pressure or force, mercury will quickly move and change levels in the tube, allowing for easy observation and measurement. Additionally, mercury has a low vapor pressure, meaning it will not evaporate and affect the accuracy of the experiment.

3. What is the principle behind the use of a U-tube for measuring pressure?

The principle behind using a U-tube for measuring pressure is based on Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid will be transmitted equally in all directions. In a U-tube, the pressure on one side of the tube will cause the fluid to rise or fall, depending on the direction of the pressure, and this change in fluid level can be used to calculate the pressure applied.

4. How is the height of the mercury column in a U-tube related to the pressure being measured?

The height of the mercury column in a U-tube is directly proportional to the pressure being measured. This means that as the pressure increases, the height of the mercury column will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship can be described using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

5. What are some common applications of U-tube experiments in fluid mechanics?

U-tube experiments are commonly used in fluid mechanics for a variety of applications, including measuring pressure and pressure differences, studying the behavior of fluids under different conditions, and demonstrating principles such as Pascal's Law and Bernoulli's principle. They are also frequently used in teaching and learning about fluid mechanics in educational settings.