Simple Fluid Mechanics-differential manometer question. Please

In summary, the conversation is about a differential manometer question involving pipes A and B with different pressures. The manometer fluid has a specific gravity of 3.46 and the water has a specific gravity of 62.4 lb/ft^3. The differential is determined to be 4.06ft. The conversation also mentions alternative methods that were attempted but did not make sense.
ovoleg
Simple Fluid Mechanics-differential manometer question. Please :)

Can someone please help me on this differential manometer question??

Let me retype the question because my handwriting is sloppy. "The manometer fluid in the manometer has specific gravity of 3.46. Pipes A and B both have water. If pressure in A is decreased by 1.3psi and pressure in B increases by 0.9psi, determine the differential.
Gamma(water) = 62.4 lb/ft^3
SG*Gamma(water)=Gamma(gage fluid)=(3.46)*(62.4lb/ft^3)=215.904lb/ft^3

I scanned what I did. I tried a few other methods but they were borderline retarded and didnt make sense so I didnt bother attaching them.

Please help!

Oh the answer is 4.06ft. The best I can muster is 4.5641ft.

Attachments

• differential-manometer.jpg
    differential-manometer.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 992
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation of the Pressube in B is correct with respect to pressure in A, if the heights are correct (i don't know because you used variables not defined anywhere). Also, this equation do not represente the increase you forgot to add 0.9 to Pb and subract 1.3 to Pa.

cool thanks bro :) :)

What is a differential manometer?

A differential manometer is a device used to measure the difference in pressure between two points in a fluid. It consists of a U-shaped tube partially filled with a fluid, typically mercury or water, and two arms connected to the points where the pressure is to be measured.

How does a differential manometer work?

The difference in pressure between the two points causes a difference in the heights of the fluid in the two arms of the manometer. This height difference is then measured and converted to a pressure difference using the fluid's density and the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the equation for calculating pressure using a differential manometer?

The equation for calculating pressure using a differential manometer is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure difference, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the two arms of the manometer.

What is the advantage of using a differential manometer over other pressure measuring devices?

A differential manometer is a simple and inexpensive device that can accurately measure small pressure differences. It also does not require calibration and can be used for a variety of fluids.

How is a differential manometer used in fluid mechanics?

A differential manometer is used in fluid mechanics to measure pressure differences in various systems, such as flow rates in pipes, pressure changes in pumps, and differences in fluid levels in tanks. It is also used to calculate other important parameters in fluid mechanics, such as velocity and flow rate.