Calculating h in a Venturi Tube

In summary: It is important to use consistent units throughout the equation, so be sure to convert all lengths to meters and all volumes to m^3.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the height difference of mercury in a U-tube with a Venturi tube. Air flows through the tube at a rate of 1200 cm^3/sec and the mercury is higher in the section below the narrow segment. The person has tried using velocity equations for a venturi tube and solving for h, but is not getting the correct answer. They also question whether their measurements should be in centimeters or meters. They are advised to use consistent units and convert all lengths to meters and all volumes to m^3.
Metalsonic75
Air flows through this tube at a rate of 1200 cm^3/sec. Assume that air is an ideal fluid.
What is the height h of mercury (in cm) in the right side of the U-tube?

In case the picture doesn't show up, the tube is a Venturi tube. Wide end has diameter of 2cm, narrow diameter is 4 mm, and velocity of the air exiting the tube is 1200 cm^3/sec. The mercury is higher in the u-tube section directly below the narrow segment, and I need to find the height difference of the mercury on the right and left sides.

I've tried using the velocity equations for a venturi tube: v_1 = A_2*sqrt[(2rho*gh)/rho(A_1^2 - A_2^2)] and solving for h. I also tried using the equation p_1 + 0.5rho*v_1^2 = p_1 - rho*gh + 0.5rho(A1/A2)^2*v_1^2 and solving for h.

I'm not getting the right answers. I got something like 6.40cm for the first method, and 8.31cm. To obtain the velocity in the larger part of the tube I used A1v1=A2v2
and got 48 cm^3/sec.

I also have no idea what to do with all of these units. Should I leave all of my measurements in centimeters (2 cm, 1200cm^3/sec, etc) or in meters (0.02m, 12 m^3 sec, etc.) I might be getting the right answer, and be off by a factor of 100. How can I calculate the h?

I appreciate your time.

Attachments

• knight_Figure_15_64.jpg
    knight_Figure_15_64.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
Metalsonic75 said:
Wide end has diameter of 2cm, narrow diameter is 4 mm, and velocity of the air exiting the tube is 1200 cm^3/sec.
The velocity at the exit is not 1200 cm3/s. Note that the units here do not correspond to speed. 1200 cm3/s is the volume flow rate, Q. Q is the same at any cross-section of the tube if the flow is steady and incompressible. (These are natural assumptions to make for this problem.)

At any cross-section, Q is related to the speed v of the fluid according to Q = Av, where A is the cross-sectional area. This relation is useful for finding v if you know Q.

Metalsonic75 said:
I've tried using the velocity equations for a venturi tube: v_1 = A_2*sqrt[(2rho*gh)/rho(A_1^2 - A_2^2)] and solving for h.
You can use this equation to find h. However, one of the rhos is the density of air while the other rho is the density of mercury. I leave it to you to figure out which is which.

What is a Venturi tube?

A Venturi tube is a device used to measure the flow rate of a fluid by creating a constriction in the flow path. It works based on the principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases.

How is a Venturi tube used to calculate flow rate?

The Venturi tube has a narrow throat in the middle that creates a pressure difference between the upstream and downstream sides. This pressure difference can be measured and used to calculate the flow rate of the fluid passing through the tube using the Bernoulli's equation.

What factors affect the accuracy of Venturi tube calculations?

The accuracy of Venturi tube calculations can be affected by several factors such as the shape and size of the tube, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the location and number of pressure taps used to measure the pressure difference.

What are the advantages of using a Venturi tube for flow rate measurement?

Compared to other flow rate measurement devices, a Venturi tube has several advantages including low pressure drop, high accuracy, and minimal interference with the flow. It is also relatively inexpensive and can be used for a wide range of flow rates and fluid types.

How are Venturi tubes calibrated?

A Venturi tube can be calibrated by comparing its readings to those of a known standard flow meter. This can be done in a laboratory setting or in-situ by installing the standard flow meter and the Venturi tube in series and adjusting the flow rate to match between the two devices.