Nautical Engineering: Schooling, Boats & Amphibious Craft

• Thread starter TheRyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, Boat design involves engines which are related to mechanical engineering. There is a lot of math involved, and you need to know chemistry too.
TheRyan
I hope this is the right forum for this topic, I thought it would be because boat design would involve engines which are related to mechanical engineering. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here is a nautical engineer? I haven't found much about the major other than that it's offered at very few colleges (compared to other majors) and that it's mostly related to boats and possibly amphibious craft.

Another question is what kind of schooling would this involve? I'm guessing a lot of advanced calculus to figure out with the motion of the ocean and how it relates to hull shape, speed, and ability of the boat to stay upright. I've read some of MIT's Open Course Ware on the topic, and a lot of it just seemed to be about the physics of buoyancy. What else is there to this branch of engineering?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about this, but I think that the field is actually 'marine' engineering rather than 'nautical'. In any event, mechanical would be a 'for sure', and perhaps aeronautical, since a lot of the fluid dynamics are similar. That's just my best guess, though; I'm not involved in any of those things.

Danger has a good point. You need to look at Marine Engineering or Naval Architecture. I haven't seen very many schools offering that major either. I believe MIT does have a department. Definitely check with other large schools.

It's going to have the same classes as an ME or AE. A lot of fluids and structures I would imagine.

Thanks for the ideas, I have seen it mentioned as nautical/marine engineering or naval architecture: the fact that they are so similar and one name can't be chosen out of the three makes it a little confusing.

To tell the truth, I generally just refer to it as 'messing about with boats'. :biggrin:

Ha, messing around with boats. Unfortunately the engineering quality of one certain "unsinkable" ship wasn't as good as the designers originally thought. Now for a ship to really be "unsinkable" it must be able to withstand not only huge waves and weather changes but also icebergs. That is a tough task.

TheRyan said:
the engineering quality of one certain "unsinkable" ship wasn't as good as the designers originally thought. Now for a ship to really be "unsinkable" it must be able to withstand not only huge waves and weather changes but also icebergs.

Make that two ships. The Lusitania was also considered 'unsinkable'... so you should add torpedoes to the huge waves and icebergs.

You might want to search this boat forum, many people have asked similar questions there.

Boatdesign:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

uh yea basically a mechanical or aero engineering degree will do as long as you have some sort of concentration in fluid mechanics/dynamics, acoustics, programming, etc. They're really all the same thing (mechanical/aero/marine). And yes, you do need to know a bit of math.

Don't forget chemistry... galvanic corrosion.

1. What is nautical engineering?

Nautical engineering is a specialized field of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and operation of boats, ships, and other watercraft. It involves a combination of principles from mechanical, electrical, and naval architecture disciplines.

2. What kind of schooling is required to become a nautical engineer?

To become a nautical engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in marine engineering, naval architecture, or a related field. Some universities also offer specialized programs in nautical engineering. Additionally, obtaining a professional engineering license may be required depending on the specific job and location.

3. Can nautical engineers work on different types of boats?

Yes, nautical engineers can work on a variety of boats and watercraft, including commercial ships, military vessels, cruise ships, yachts, and even smaller recreational boats. They may also be involved in the design and construction of amphibious craft, which are capable of operating on both land and water.

4. What skills are important for a career in nautical engineering?

Nautical engineers should have a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and materials science, as well as technical drawing and computer-aided design (CAD) skills. They also need to have good problem-solving and critical thinking abilities, as well as strong communication and teamwork skills.

5. What are some examples of projects that nautical engineers might work on?

Nautical engineers could work on a wide range of projects, such as designing a new ship or boat, developing more efficient propulsion systems, or improving the safety and stability of existing watercraft. They may also be involved in the design and construction of offshore structures, such as oil rigs or wind farms, or in the development of new technologies for underwater exploration and research.