Calculating Time for a Ball Rolling Down an Inclined Plane

In summary, the ball rolls down an inclined plane at an acceleration of 2 m/s^2. It takes it approximately 50 m to roll down the entire incline.
Nuha99
Q: A ball is at rest on an inclined plane. It begins to roll down with an acceleration of 2 m/s^2. How long does it take the ball to roll 50 m?

This is my work:

find time using, s = ut + 1/2 a t^2

t = sqrt(2s/a)

Plug in the s = 50 and a = 2

Am I right?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where have you used the fact that this is a rolling ball and not a falling mass point? In particular, you have not taken into account the rotational kinetic energy.

Thanks for your reply.

A falling object accelerates with acceleration of gravity, g. Here the given acceleration, as I understand, is the acceleration of the center of mass (linear acceleration). Even though the ball is rolling, C.M is moving in a straight line along the incline so that we can use the equation of kinematics.

In particular, you have not taken into account the rotational kinetic energy.

Conservation of energy gives me an expression for the final velocity as a function of initial height of the ball above the ground, and will not allow me to find the time of travel.

Nuha99 said:
Thanks for your reply.

A falling object accelerates with acceleration of gravity, g. Here the given acceleration, as I understand, is the acceleration of the center of mass (linear acceleration). Even though the ball is rolling, C.M is moving in a straight line along the incline so that we can use the equation of kinematics.

Conservation of energy gives me an expression for the final velocity as a function of initial height of the ball above the ground, and will not allow me to find the time of travel.

That is correct. Your approach looks correct for this problem.
X = 1/2 a t2 in this case because you are given its constant acceleration.

1. How do you calculate the time for a ball rolling down an inclined plane?

To calculate the time for a ball rolling down an inclined plane, you will need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the angle of the incline, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can use the formula t = √(2h/gsinθ), where t is the time, h is the vertical distance traveled, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value that represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards Earth. On Earth, this value is approximately 9.8 m/s². This means that for every second an object falls, its speed will increase by 9.8 m/s.

3. Can the initial velocity of the ball affect the time it takes to roll down the inclined plane?

Yes, the initial velocity of the ball will affect the time it takes to roll down the inclined plane. The faster the initial velocity, the shorter the time it will take for the ball to reach the bottom of the incline. This is because the initial velocity is factored into the formula for calculating time.

4. Is it necessary to take air resistance into account when calculating the time for a ball rolling down an inclined plane?

No, it is not necessary to take air resistance into account when calculating the time for a ball rolling down an inclined plane. This is because air resistance is typically negligible for objects rolling on an incline at low speeds.

5. Can the angle of the incline affect the time it takes for a ball to roll down?

Yes, the angle of the incline can affect the time it takes for a ball to roll down. The steeper the incline, the shorter the time it will take for the ball to reach the bottom. This is because a steeper incline will result in a shorter vertical distance for the ball to travel, which will decrease the time calculated using the formula.