Change in gravitional potential energy at an angle?

In summary, the question asks for the change in gravitational potential energy of a 0.23kg pendulum bob attached to a string 1.2m long at an angle of 30 degrees, as it swings from point A to point B. The equation used is U=E+K, and the height of the bob is not given. The approach suggested is to use trigonometry to relate the change in angle to the change in height of the bob.
flemj

Homework Statement

A 0.23kg pendulum bob is attached to a string 1.2 long at an angle of 30 degrees. What is the change in the gravitational potential energy of the system as the bob swings from point A to point B
U=

Homework Equations

.5 mv^2 = mgl
U=E+K

The Attempt at a Solution

in the picture it looks like a string attached to a roof with the ball at rest touching the roof and swinging down to a position 35 degrees below I am just not sure how you use the angle of 35 in the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you relate the change in angle to the change in height of the bob?

Hootenanny said:
Can you relate the change in angle to the change in height of the bob?

the height isn't given its just the length of the string sorry.

flemj said:
the height isn't given its just the length of the string sorry.
I know it isn't given, what I was saying is can you work it out using the angle and the length of the string?

Hootenanny said:
I know it isn't given, what I was saying is can you work it out using the angle and the length of the string?

would you do that my x sin theta ?

im just really frustrated with this question

flemj said:
would you do that my x sin theta ?
I'm not sure what my is meant to be, but yes you should use trigonometry.

1. What is gravitational potential energy at an angle?

Gravitational potential energy at an angle refers to the potential energy that an object has due to its position at a certain angle in a gravitational field. It is a measure of the work that would be required to move the object from its current position to a reference position, usually at an infinite distance away.

2. How does the angle affect the change in gravitational potential energy?

The angle at which an object is positioned in a gravitational field affects the change in its gravitational potential energy because the gravitational force acting on the object is dependent on the distance and direction between the object and the source of the gravitational field. As the angle changes, the distance and direction between the object and the source of the gravitational field also change, resulting in a change in gravitational potential energy.

3. Does the mass of the object affect the change in gravitational potential energy at an angle?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the change in gravitational potential energy at an angle. The greater the mass of the object, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This is because the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses.

4. What is the formula for calculating change in gravitational potential energy at an angle?

The formula for calculating change in gravitational potential energy at an angle is PE = mgh, where PE is the change in gravitational potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the change in height or vertical displacement at the given angle.

5. How is change in gravitational potential energy at an angle related to work done?

Change in gravitational potential energy at an angle is directly related to the work done on the object. This is because the work done is equal to the change in energy, and in this case, it is the change in gravitational potential energy. So, the greater the change in gravitational potential energy at an angle, the more work is done on the object.