Magnetic field on current loop, involves rotational energy

In summary, the magnetic field points in the +y-direction and the loop has an initial kinetic energy of 3.2766e-7 Joules.
cdingdong

Homework Statement

A rectangular loop of sides a = 0.3 cm and b = 0.8 cm pivots without friction about a fixed axis (z-axis) that coincides with its left end (see figure). The net current in the loop is I = 3.2 A. A spatially uniform magnetic field with B = 0.005 T points in the +y-direction. The loop initially makes an angle q = 35° with respect to the x-z plane.
https://tycho-s.phys.washington.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys122/autumn08/homework/09/rectangular_loop_MFR/p8.gif

The moment of inertia of the loop about its axis of rotation (left end) is J = 2.9 × 10-6 kg m2. If the loop is released from rest at q = 35°, calculate its angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] at q = 0°.

Homework Equations

this is kinetic energy:
KE = 1/2I[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] but moment of inertia is specified to be J, so

KE = 1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex]

this is potential energy for a loop with current and magnetic field acting on it:
PE = [tex]\mu[/tex]Bcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
moment vector [tex]\mu[/tex] = NIA where N = number of loops, I = current, A = area, B = magnetic field

so, PE = NIABcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I recognize that the angular kinetic energy equation can be used to find the angular velocity. KE = 1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex].
Final kinetic energy = initial potential energy. Initial potential energy = NIABcos[tex]\theta[/tex]. so, we could say

1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] = NIABcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

the right side is potential energy. that equals

N = 1 turn; I = 3.2 Amps; A = 0.003*0.008 = 2.5e-5 meters; B = 0.005 Teslas; [tex]\theta[/tex] = 35 degrees

(1)(3.2)(2.5e-5)(0.005)cos(35) = 3.276608177 * 10^-7 Joules. we'll call this 3.2766e-7
so, now we have

1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] = 3.2766e-7

J = 2.9 × 10-6 kilogram meters squared. we'll call this 2.9e-6

1/2(2.9e-6)[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] = 3.2766e-7

[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{(2*3.2766e-7)/2.9e-6}[/tex] = 4.753655581 * 10^-1

BUT, the answer happens to be what I did except that they did not take the square root at the end.
so, they got 2.259724138 * 10^-1.

did i do something wrong? what i did makes sense in my mind. is their answer wrong? why did they not not take a square root at the end? is kinetic energy not = 1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex], but instead 1/2J[tex]\omega[/tex] without the square?

i thank everybody in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cdingdong said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I recognize that the angular kinetic energy equation can be used to find the angular velocity. KE = 1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex].
Final kinetic energy = initial potential energy. Initial potential energy = NIABcos[tex]\theta[/tex]. so, we could say

1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex] = NIABcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
What's the final potential energy, when θ = 0?

wow, now that you bring it up, i realize my mistake. you're right! i forgot the final potential energy. so, the answer works, but there is something that bothers me.

Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

there is no initial kinetic energy because it came from rest, so that is zero

Ui = Kf + Uf

rearranging it,

Ui - Uf = Kf

NIABcos35 - NIABcos0 = 1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex]

NIAB(cos35 - cos0) = 1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex]

(1)(3.2)(2.5e-5)(0.005)(cos35 - cos0) = 1/2(2.9e-5)[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex]

-7.233918228 = 1/2(2.9e-5)[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex]

when i find the potential energy, initial PE - final PE, i get a negative number. so, when i set it equal to 1/2J[tex]\omega^{2}[/tex], i get a square root of a negative number, which is not possible. if i take the square root of the absolute value of that number, the answer is correct. is there something wrong with my signs?

cdingdong said:
is there something wrong with my signs?
Yes, your signs are messed up. The correct expression for PE is PE = -IABcosθ (note the minus sign).

So Ui - Uf = (-IABcos35) - (-IABcos0) = IAB(cos0 - cos35).

ahhhh, i see. well, that will solve my problem. thanks Doc Al!

1. What is a magnetic field on a current loop?

A magnetic field on a current loop is a region in space where a magnetic force acts on a charged particle moving in a circular path around the loop. This magnetic force is created by the flow of electric current through the loop.

2. How does a magnetic field on a current loop involve rotational energy?

A magnetic field on a current loop involves rotational energy because the charged particles moving along the loop experience a torque, or turning force, which causes them to rotate. This rotational energy can be seen as the energy required to maintain the current flow through the loop.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field on a current loop?

The strength of the magnetic field on a current loop is affected by the amount of current flowing through the loop, the size and shape of the loop, and the distance from the loop.

4. How is the direction of the magnetic field on a current loop determined?

The direction of the magnetic field on a current loop is determined by the right-hand rule. If you curl your right hand in the direction of the current flow, your thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetic fields on current loops?

Magnetic fields on current loops are used in a variety of devices, such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also important in the study of electromagnetism and play a crucial role in many technologies, including MRI machines and particle accelerators.