What Is the Charge of q2 When the Net Electric Field at Point P Is Zero?

In summary, two point charges, q1 and q2, with values of -3.0x10^-9 C and an unknown positive charge, are placed 0.30m apart on the x-axis. The net electric field at point P is zero, indicating that q2 is likely positive. To calculate the magnitude of charge q2, the equation E = (k* (q1)/r^2) + (k*(q2)/r^2) can be used. To determine the x-coordinate of the point on the line between the two charges where the electric potential is zero, the condition that the two |E| are equal at some point Q must be solved, yielding an equation of q1/(r
BugsSport

Homework Statement

Two point charges, q1 and q2, are placed 0.30m apart on the x-axis, as shown in the figure(http://hiviz.org/apb89/ap/problems/2006-3.jpg" . Charge q1 has a value of -3.0x10^-9 C. The net electric field at point P is zero.

A) What is charge of q2 (Positive/Negative)
B) Calculate magnitude of charge q2
C) Calculate magnitude of electric force on q2 and give direction.
D) Determine x-coordinate of point on line between 2 charges at which electric potential is 0.
E) How much work must be done by an external force to bring an electron from infinity to the point at which the electric potential is zero?

Homework Equations

F = k*|q1|*|q2|/r
V = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I believe the charge is positive because if the net force is zero, then the positive charge would have to counteract the negative charge of q1.
B) I think I am supposed to use F = k*|q1|*|q2|/r. Do I just set that equal to zero, since the net force is zero at point P?
C) Don't know where to start here
D) V= kq/r? There is only one q in that equation though, so I'm not sure how to do it.
E) Don't know how to start this one either.

Any suggestions/hints would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A) Yes you are correct on this one. Good reasoning.

B) You might try a different equation. The one you are using will work for part C, but here you need to find the magnitude of the electric field at a point. Try thinking about E = (k* (q1)/r^2) + (k*(q2)/r^2)

C) After doing B I think you will find this much easier

Unfortunately must go to class. Sorry wasn't able to give comments on last 2. Good luck.

For d) you have to solve for the condition that the two |E| are equal at some point Q, where Q is distance r from q1 and distance (r + .3) from q2.

That yields something like q1/(r2) = q2/(r +.3)2

For e) what is the equation for Work that relates voltages and charges?

V=w/q?

BugsSport said:
V=w/q?

Isn't it more like W = q*ΔV ?

And what is the V at ∞ ?

0 maybe? Sorry I don't really know

BugsSport said:
0 maybe? Sorry I don't really know

It's not maybe. That's the way it's defined. Your R is ∞ after all, so it must be 0 right. (V = kq/r ) Now moving a charge to your point where it's also 0 is what they are asking.

So how much work is involved in moving a charge from 0 potential to a 0 potential point? The product of the charge and the voltage difference perhaps? And that is what again?

Would it be 0 again?

BugsSport said:
Would it be 0 again?

Sounds good to me.

Alright thanks for the help, I appreciate it

1. What is the net force of point charges?

The net force of point charges refers to the overall force acting on a point charge due to the combined effects of all other point charges in its vicinity. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the individual forces.

2. How is the net force of point charges calculated?

The net force of point charges is calculated by using the principle of superposition, which states that the net force on a point charge is equal to the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on it. This can be represented mathematically as Fnet = F1 + F2 + ... + Fn, where Fnet is the net force and F1, F2, etc. are the individual forces.

3. Does the distance between point charges affect the net force?

Yes, the distance between point charges does affect the net force. According to Coulomb's law, the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between point charges increases, the net force decreases.

4. Can the net force of point charges be zero?

Yes, the net force of point charges can be zero. This occurs when the individual forces acting on a point charge cancel each other out due to their magnitudes and directions. In other words, the total force on the point charge is balanced and there is no resulting motion.

5. How does the direction of the net force of point charges compare to the direction of the individual forces?

The direction of the net force of point charges is determined by the vector sum of the individual forces acting on a point charge. This means that the net force can have a different direction than any of the individual forces. For example, if two equal and opposite forces are acting on a point charge, the net force will be zero, but the direction of the net force will be in the direction of the larger force.