Point Charges: direction and magnitude

In summary, the forces on a charge located at the center of a square with sides of length a are as follows: -For the arrangement with the charges alternating in sign (left to right), the net electric force is zero.-For the arrangement with the two positive charges on the top corners and the two negative charges on the bottom corners, the net electric force is downward.-For the arrangement with the two positive charges on the top corners and the two negative charges on the bottom corners, the net electric force is upward.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

Four point charges are located at the corners of a square with sides of length a. Two of the charges are + q, and two are - q.
1)Find the direction of the net electric force exerted on a charge + Q, located at the center of the square, for the following arrangement of charge: the charges alternate in sign \left( { + q, - q, + q, - q} \right) as you go around the square.
2)Find the magnitude of the net electric force exerted on a charge + Q, located at the center of the square, for the following arrangement of charge: the charges alternate in sign \left( { + q, - q, + q, - q} \right) as you go around the square.
3)Find the magnitude of the net electric force exerted on a charge + Q, located at the center of the square, for the following arrangement of charge: the two positive charges are on the top corners, and the two negative charges are on the bottom corners.
Express your answer in terms of the variables q, Q, a, and appropriate constants.
4) Find the direction of the net electric force exerted on a charge + Q, located at the center of the square, for the following arrangement of charge: the two positive charges are on the top corners, and the two negative charges are on the bottom corners.

Homework Equations

F = k (qQ/r^2) ?

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1 I think it is magnitude = 0 because of the pull directions (b/c the signs alternate). For 4, I think the pull will be downward b/c the Q+ will be attracted to the neg charges. For 2 and 3 I'm not exactly sure what they are asking, so can somebody help me with my comprehension of what they are asking? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi matt72lsu! :smile:
matt72lsu said:
For question 1 I think it is magnitude = 0 because of the pull directions (b/c the signs alternate). For 4, I think the pull will be downward b/c the Q+ will be attracted to the neg charges.

Yes, that's right (and that answers 2 also, so that only leaves 3 …)

(but why does the sign alternating make the magnitude 0?)
For … 3 I'm not exactly sure what they are asking, so can somebody help me with my comprehension of what they are asking?

Find the force on Q from each charge separately.

Force is a vector, so that gives you four vectors … now add them. :smile:

Thanks for responding tiny-tim!
I think the magnitude is zero because you will have alternating corners "pulling" on the charge, thus it will not "move". I know what I'm trying to say doesn't make any sense... for 2 and 3, i guess I'm just confused on the format of the question. are we actually calculating something or is it just asking me to write an equation for what is happening?

matt72lsu said:
Thanks for responding tiny-tim!
I think the magnitude is zero because you will have alternating corners "pulling" on the charge, thus it will not "move". I know what I'm trying to say doesn't make any sense...

no, it doesn't … if Q was in the centre of just two alternating charges, it would be pulled in the same direction by both, wouldn't it?

Instead, just consider two of the same charges.
for 2 and 3, i guess I'm just confused on the format of the question. are we actually calculating something or is it just asking me to write an equation for what is happening?

Yes, you are actually calculating something.

You are calculating four vectors, and adding them.

ok I'm sorry i can't quite wrap my head around this one. so am i on the right track with the equation i provided? so r= 0 for 2? for each corner i could label each q1, q2, etc? then find the vector towards Q+ (F1, F2, etc). then add? and k = 8.99 e9 correct

I'm not sure what you're saying :redface:, but I think it's correct :smile:

show us the actual calculations.

well the directions say to show answer in terma of the variables q, Q, a and k? so i think it would be F= k (qQ/2a^2)

1. What is the direction of a point charge?

The direction of a point charge is determined by the sign of the charge. A positive charge will have a direction away from it, while a negative charge will have a direction towards it.

2. How is the magnitude of a point charge determined?

The magnitude of a point charge is determined by the amount of charge it possesses, measured in Coulombs (C). This can be calculated by using the equation Q = ne, where Q is the charge, n is the number of elementary charges, and e is the elementary charge of 1.6 x 10^-19 C.

3. Can the direction of a point charge change?

Yes, the direction of a point charge can change if the charge itself moves. For example, if a positive charge is initially moving in one direction, it can change direction if it is affected by another charge or an external force.

4. How are point charges represented in diagrams or equations?

Point charges are often represented by the letter Q and an arrow pointing in the direction of the charge. In equations, Q is typically used to represent the magnitude of the charge.

5. How do point charges interact with each other?

Point charges interact with each other through the electrostatic force, which is a force that exists between two charges. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. The strength of the force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them, as described by Coulomb's Law.