Describe some basic concepts for me please?

• Thread starter Telephone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary, the research is looking into star formation and how factors like ionization pressure, radiation pressure, and supernovae can affect the output of a star. It is found that the more mass a star has, the more power it releases and the hotter its surface will be. Additionally, supernovae can happen in different ways and it is interesting to learn more about them.
Telephone
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but its not really homework, just curiosity.

I'm a high school student struggling to understand a paper given to me, and search engines don't provide good starting points unless I have a more exact search query.

The research is on star formation, investigating factors such as ionization pressure, radiation pressure and supernovae. Now some questions..

Could someone explain stellar output? Does it have to do with heat or luminosity, and would it have any correlation to the mass of the star?
Could someone also explain what HII fraction would be? Does it have to do with diffuse fraction (or reflection)? I believe it is ionized hydrogen, but I'm not sure about anything else.
Also, would anyone have a good starting point for understanding the dynamics of supernovae?
Sharing any general knowledge on these topics would be great too!

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Telephone said:
... its not really homework, just curiosity.

Could someone explain stellar output? Does it have to do with heat or luminosity, and would it have any correlation to the mass of the star?

It doesn't sound like homework. I think you are in the right general area but perhaps more precisely you want to ask this in ASTROPHYSICS. Astrophysics deals with the physics of individual stars (among other things) while Cosmology is about the overall evolution of the universe as a whole. There's not an absolute sharp division, but your questions are all about individual stars.

Probabably by "output" you mean what is technically called the [absolute] luminosity. Basically that is the "wattage" of the star---the total amount of energy it releases per second.

As you suggest it might, the output DOES correlate with the mass. Typically, for most of its lifetime, since the more massive a star is the more pressure in its core (where the fusion happens), the hotter and faster it "burns" in its core. So typically more fusion energy is released per second, in a more massive star.

That enhanced power output in the core percolates out to the surface. So the more massive the star is the hotter its surface gets, and the more radiantly it glows.

I'm not using formal technically correct language---just telling you how I think about it, in my own words.

I hope someone with more detailed knowledge answers with specifics! There are some equations relating mass to luminosity. I don't happen to know them by heart, so hopefully some more knowledgeable person will step in. As a last resort you could try googling "wikipedia star mass luminosity" or something like that.

Also, wikipedia is good on the different mechanisms of supernova explosion. There are different ways that supernovas happen---it's pretty interesting. Keep asking questions. :biggrin:

That really helped a lot! thanks so much!
Don't worry, I'll be back =D

1. What are some common basic concepts in science?

Some common basic concepts in science include the scientific method, experimentation, observation, hypothesis, and data analysis. These concepts are essential for conducting scientific research and understanding the natural world.

2. How do you define a scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting scientific research. It involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments to test the hypothesis, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

3. What is the importance of experimentation in science?

Experimentation is crucial in science because it allows scientists to test their hypotheses and gather evidence to support or refute their ideas. It also helps to control variables and ensure accurate and reliable results.

4. Can you explain the concept of observation in science?

In science, observation refers to the act of carefully watching and recording natural phenomena or behaviors. It is a critical part of the scientific method and helps to gather data and evidence to support scientific theories and hypotheses.

5. What is the role of hypothesis in scientific research?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a natural phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation. It plays a crucial role in scientific research as it helps to guide the design of experiments and provides a basis for interpreting the results.