Pls help me with my poem (be nice ok)

• Thread starter morninglover1
  • Start date
It seems like you have a great relationship with this guy and you should just be yourself. You don't need to impress him with your intellect since he already likes you for who you are. Just have fun and enjoy each other's company. In summary, the speaker is warning that they are not good at math and feel nervous when their significant other talks about it. They are trying to impress their partner with a poem about math, but are worried about being seen as stupid. The speaker reassures themselves that their partner likes them for who they are and should just enjoy their relationship without trying to prove their intelligence.
morninglover1
ok i need to warn you people I am stupid..i really can't do math, i can't do long division. i just feel all cold and clammy and my brain shuts off. i don't know why.
anyway a few years ago i met this really brilliant guy. he's an engineer, aerospace or something like that. we really like each other and stuff. i think he knows math isn't my "forte" but he doesn't know how really dumb and stupid i am with it. of course, i don't show it. i haven't managed to perform fractions or long divisions for him. it makes me really nervous when he talks about it cause i don't know what to say. anyway i have a degree myself but I am on the medical field and we weren't that focused in maths anyway (thank GOD). if i wasnt so stupid i'd be a doctor though :( this is the only problem in my life that i haven't managed to solve. i have a great social life and i never had trouble forming or keeping relationships (platonic or romantic).

ok enough w/ the pity party. so i was making this poem for him (cause he said he liked my other ones and i really don't know how else to impress him w/ my mind/intellect (or lack thereof)) so here it goes..on the first stanza:

so if you really insist being my theorem, and i your corollary
please just tell everyone that I am your one and only!

(does this sound funny? )

im kinda scared cause i don't want him to start suspecting that I am really stupid.: (
i really like him a lot lottt..

thanks.

abby.

p.s. just writing here makes my hands feel cold and clammy

Physics news on Phys.org
morninglover1 said:
ok i need to warn you people I am stupid..i really can't do math, i can't do long division. i just feel all cold and clammy and my brain shuts off. i don't know why.
anyway a few years ago i met this really brilliant guy. he's an engineer, aerospace or something like that. we really like each other and stuff. i think he knows math isn't my "forte" but he doesn't know how really dumb and stupid i am with it. of course, i don't show it. i haven't managed to perform fractions or long divisions for him. it makes me really nervous when he talks about it cause i don't know what to say. anyway i have a degree myself but I am on the medical field and we weren't that focused in maths anyway (thank GOD). if i wasnt so stupid i'd be a doctor though :( this is the only problem in my life that i haven't managed to solve. i have a great social life and i never had trouble forming or keeping relationships (platonic or romantic).

ok enough w/ the pity party. so i was making this poem for him (cause he said he liked my other ones and i really don't know how else to impress him w/ my mind/intellect (or lack thereof)) so here it goes..on the first stanza:

so if you really insist being my theorem, and i your corollary
please just tell everyone that I am your one and only!

(does this sound funny? )

im kinda scared cause i don't want him to start suspecting that I am really stupid.: (
i really like him a lot lottt..

thanks.

abby.

p.s. just writing here makes my hands feel cold and clammy

I would say it needs a little tweaking still, but I'm sure he would appreciate that you are trying to write a poem about math for him. That's very sweet.

Not entirely sure why he would be talking about long division or fractions, anyways...

morninglover1 said:
i haven't managed to perform fractions or long divisions for him. it makes me really nervous when he talks about it cause i don't know what to say.

sandy.bridge said:
Not entirely sure why he would be talking about long division or fractions, anyways...

Really! Why talk about fractions and long division when one could talk about quaternions. Heck, William was so excited about quaternions that he carved them into the stones on a bridge while on a romantic moonlit walk with his wife.

Admittedly, their marriage probably wasn't the greatest. In fact, he usually described his wife to others as "not at all brilliant". But at least he was able to complete a paper on "Theory on Systems of Rays" during his honeymoon.

But, to get back on topic, if you could get the phrase, "i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = ijk = -1", into your poem somehow, I think it would be a real hit. I realize that phrase doesn't have the greatest romantic history, but that has to be an aberration, as that phrase just has to work - I just don't see how it couldn't!

Last edited:
Morninglover1, why do you think he will find you stupid simply because you are not excellent at math? Heck, I'd have to pop open a dictionary to understand some of the words in your poem, so does that make me stupid? Also, if you're talking about long division during your dates or conversations I think I might be worried for you unless both of you were Math teachers!

1. What should I do if I'm struggling to come up with ideas for my poem?

It's completely normal to experience writer's block when working on a poem. One helpful tip is to brainstorm and make a list of words or phrases that come to mind when thinking about your topic. Another idea is to read other poems for inspiration and to get your creative juices flowing. Don't be afraid to take breaks and come back to your poem with fresh eyes.

2. How do I know if my poem is good?

Poetry is subjective, so what one person may consider "good" may not be the same for someone else. Focus on expressing your thoughts and feelings in a unique and creative way. It's also helpful to get feedback from others, whether it be friends, family, or a writing group, to see how your poem resonates with others.

3. Can I use rhyme in my poem?

Of course! Rhyme is a popular poetic technique, but it's not necessary for a poem to be considered good. If you do decide to use rhyme, make sure it flows naturally and doesn't feel forced. Remember, the most important aspect of a poem is the emotion and message it conveys.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with my poem?

Absolutely! Seeking help from others, whether it be from a teacher, friend, or online writing community, can provide valuable feedback and suggestions for improvement. Just be open to constructive criticism and use it to enhance your poem.

5. How can I make my poem more interesting?

There are many ways to make a poem more interesting, such as using descriptive language, incorporating sensory details, and experimenting with different poetic forms and structures. Try to use vivid imagery and avoid cliches to keep your poem fresh and engaging. Most importantly, write from the heart and let your unique voice shine through.