Importance of adding the constant of integration.

In summary: CPU cycles?In summary, the constant of integration is important when you have a function f(x) such that F(x) = f'(x), as the derivative of g(x) = f(x) + C for any constant also equals F(x). This is why you need to capture that constant in the solution when you integrate F(x).
shayaan_musta
Hello experts!
I have a question below.

Why is it important to add the constant of integration immediately when the integration is performed?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're wondering why there is a constant of integration, it is because when you have a function f(x) such that F(x) = f'(x), then the derivative of g(x) = f(x) + C for any constant also equals F(x) (i.e., g'(x) = f'(x)), so when you integrate F(x), you need to capture that constant in the solution.

Now, if you are asking why it has to be done immediately I'm not sure what you're asking since adding the constant is done as the last step.

To the OP: Assume you must do a double integration. For example:

[tex] \frac{d^2 f(x)}{d x^2} = x^3 + 5 [/tex]

What is then f(x) equal to ?

dextercioby said:
To the OP: Assume you must do a double integration. For example:

[tex] \frac{d^2 f(x)}{d x^2} = x^3 + 5 [/tex]

What is then f(x) equal to ?

f(x)=[itex]\frac{x^{5}}{5}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{5x^{2}}{2}[/itex] + c

where "c" is the integration constant.

Now what?? :s

daveb said:
If you're wondering why there is a constant of integration, it is because when you have a function f(x) such that F(x) = f'(x), then the derivative of g(x) = f(x) + C for any constant also equals F(x) (i.e., g'(x) = f'(x)), so when you integrate F(x), you need to capture that constant in the solution.

Now, if you are asking why it has to be done immediately I'm not sure what you're asking since adding the constant is done as the last step.

Ok daveb thank you. I think you have answered my question.
Thank you very much.

Thank you dextercioby. You also made me to think the answer of my question.

shayaan_musta said:
f(x)=[itex]\frac{x^{5}}{5}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{5x^{2}}{2}[/itex] + c

where "c" is the integration constant.

Now what?? :s

Not quite, this is why the constant of integration is important. The first integration gives

[tex] \frac{df}{dx}=\frac{x^4}{4}+5x+c_1 [/tex]

and the second integration gives

[tex] f(x)=\frac{x^5}{20}+\frac{5x^2}{2}+c_1x+c_2 [/tex]

Which is why we need one constant of integration for each integral

Note that dextercioby's example is a linear second order non-homogenous differential equation which means that the set of all solutions is a two dimensional "linear manifold". That is why you need two undetermined coefficients.

cpt_carrot said:
Not quite, this is why the constant of integration is important. The first integration gives

[tex] \frac{df}{dx}=\frac{x^4}{4}+5x+c_1 [/tex]

and the second integration gives

[tex] f(x)=\frac{x^5}{20}+\frac{5x^2}{2}+c_1x+c_2 [/tex]

Which is why we need one constant of integration for each integral

Ok cpt_carrot I got you. Thanks man.
Now I have understood that for each integration a constant is important, as Hallsofivy said.

So help guys on Physics Forums

What is the constant of integration in a scientific context?

The constant of integration is a term that is added to the end of an indefinite integral to account for all possible solutions. It is represented by the symbol 'C' and its value can vary depending on the problem being solved.

Why is it important to add the constant of integration in scientific calculations?

Adding the constant of integration ensures that all possible solutions are accounted for and that the integral is complete. Without it, the solution may only be valid for a specific set of initial conditions, which may not accurately represent the real-world scenario being studied.

Can the constant of integration be omitted in some cases?

Yes, in some cases, the constant of integration can be omitted if the problem being solved has specific initial conditions or boundary conditions that eliminate the need for it. However, it is generally good practice to include it to ensure a complete and accurate solution.

What happens if the constant of integration is omitted when it should have been included?

If the constant of integration is omitted when it should have been included, the solution will not be entirely accurate and may only represent a subset of possible solutions. This can lead to incorrect conclusions being drawn from the calculations.

How can one determine the value of the constant of integration?

The value of the constant of integration cannot be determined solely from the integral; it requires additional information such as initial conditions or boundary conditions. In some cases, physical reasoning or experimental data may also be used to determine the value of the constant.