Math REUs 2012: When Can We Expect Decisions?

• Thread starter ktupv
  • Start date
In summary: I'm on the short-list!In summary, people are waiting to hear back from REUs, but no one is discussing when decisions will be made.
ktupv
should we start a thread posting when we've started hearing from REUs? so people know roughly when to expect decisions

Physics news on Phys.org
Surprisingly, no one is discussing this.

I'm applying to SMALL and Nebraska-Lincoln.

I made the short-list for the former, hoping to actually get in!

I submitted applications to 11 math REU programs. I've heard back from Emory (rejection), am waiting for SMALL, and the other deadlines have not passed yet. The rejection letter from Emory stated that there were more than twice as many applicants as last year... :frown:

@L'Hôpital: Was the short-list for a specific group or for the program in general? I also applied to SMALL but received no response as of yet.

I too made the short list for SMALL :D

I hope I actually get in too :/

Since this probably varies from school to school, does anyone know how many applicants some REU's get?

l'Hôpital said:
Surprisingly, no one is discussing this.

I'm applying to SMALL and Nebraska-Lincoln.

I made the short-list for the former, hoping to actually get in!

doubleaxel195 said:
I too made the short list for SMALL :D

I hope I actually get in too :/

Since this probably varies from school to school, does anyone know how many applicants some REU's get?

:cry: heart-broken..

@76: I think it's very project-dependent. Mine was for the Ergodic theory group. I messed up the interview though haha. So, we'll see.

@doubleaxel: Good luck!

@l'Hôpital: Thanks. Why do you think you messed it up? Did you have a phone interview or something? I'm on the short-list for the Number Theory and Probability project. He wants us to read a few papers and write up what we think of the proofs, describe the paper, any related questions,and how we would approach them.

Yes, I had a phone interview and we talked for a bit. I kinda psyched myself out, and probably sounded like an idiot haha. Such is life though. He also asked me if I had any questions and I said no, which was probably a bad idea too.

EDIT: Wait no, I lied. Just got an offer from SMALL! Woot!

Last edited:
I probably would have been so stressed out and freaked out if they called me on the spot! Where else are you applying? Or just Nebraska?

Congratulations, l'Hôpital! I expressed interest in the Number Theory & Probability, Knot Theory, and Phylogenetics groups and have not heard back from any of them, so I'm inclined to believe that SMALL is a no-go for me.

Congrats l'Hôpital! Maybe...possibly I'll be seeing you over the summer? :)

How long you have to decide to commit to SMALL?

@76: Thanks! Sorry to hear that. : (. Maybe next year?

@Double: They said I have to make a decision by Thursday morning. I'll probably send an e-mail tonight or tomorrow. So yes, hopefully we'll see each other this summer!

l'Hôpital said:
@76: Thanks! Sorry to hear that. : (. Maybe next year?

@Double: They said I have to make a decision by Thursday morning. I'll probably send an e-mail tonight or tomorrow. So yes, hopefully we'll see each other this summer!

congrats! My credentials are as strong as I can make them. Why can't I get into the program I want...:frown:

@l'Hôpital: Well, this time next year I will hopefully be awaiting grad school admission results, so... :biggrin: But I'm pretty confident that I'll get into at least one REU. I'm playing the pity card (if there is such a thing), i.e. I go to a small liberal arts school with limited research opportunities, but have a near-perfect math GPA and am motivated enough to have done multiple directed independent studies.

@R.P.F.: Man, I understand what you're talking about; my credentials are about as strong as they could be, given the limited resources at my school. I hope you'll hear some good news soon though. :smile: Which other programs are you applying to?

764527 said:
@R.P.F.: Man, I understand what you're talking about; my credentials are about as strong as they could be, given the limited resources at my school. I hope you'll hear some good news soon though. :smile: Which other programs are you applying to?
i am only applying to a small number this year. Other than small, the other one that I'm passionate about is cornell. I have a perfect math GPA and a publication. I also go to a liberal arts college. I got good letters this time. I really don't know what else i could do to improve my chances. Whenever i apply to research programs i just feel i will never get into grad schools...

"I'm on the short-list for the Number Theory and Probability project. He wants us to read a few papers and write up what we think of the proofs, describe the paper, any related questions,and how we would approach them."

Will you post when you hear back? I'm waiting to hear from that project as well

Anyone received an offer from Small's Geometry group??

ghjk said:
Anyone received an offer from Small's Geometry group??

Are you on the short-list?

Nope, I haven't heard anything from Small yet. Did u hear from this group?

ghjk said:
Nope, I haven't heard anything from Small yet. Did u hear from this group?

Nope. I was actually just wondering whether each group has a short-list or some group just sent out offers without making a short-list.

I'm pretty sure the latter is the case for Geometry group.

ghjk said:
I'm pretty sure the latter is the case for Geometry group.

Ok. Stay calm then. Don't stab anyone(I'm actually saying this to myself...). They are probably going to have all the positions filled by the end of Feb.

Ah, finally someone made this thread.

Does anyone known whether DIMACS has announced anything yet?

so has anyone gotten an offer from small's number theory and probability?

I will let you guys know when I hear from them. Our response is due tonight. :/

I applied to 12 REU's. UNL, Chanel Islands, UCSB, Mt. Holyoke, NC State, OSU, Clarkson SUNY POTSDAM, Rose-Hulman, Penn State, Michigan State, Claremont College, and Northern Arizona University. Boy was it fun! Hoping to hear back from some soon.

I received an offer from University of North Carolina Greensboro's REU (Algorithmic Combinatorics on Words) but have a very short time to accept/decline. Anybody have any advice?

I would ideally like to see what other programs I get into, but this time frame doesn't allow for that =(

Oh, also, does anybody have experiences that they'd like to share with me from UCLA RIPS? Its part of the reason that I am hesititant to accept my current offer.

Last edited:
mathchick said:
I received an offer from University of North Carolina Greensboro's REU (Algorithmic Combinatorics on Words) but have a very short time to accept/decline. Anybody have any advice?

I would ideally like to see what other programs I get into, but this time frame doesn't allow for that =(

Congratulations on the offer! If you're still waiting to hear back from programs higher on your preference list, you can send them an e-mail politely asking about your application status, indicating that you have already received an offer but are more interested in their program. But if you don't hear back from anywhere else, I think you should accept the offer just to be safe. After all, REUs are extremely competitive and there's no guarantee that you'll receive further offers.

Also, to everyone: if you accept an offer to a program, please withdraw your other applications to streamline the process for the rest of us who haven't received offers yet. Thank you. :smile:

R.P.F. said:
Ok. Stay calm then. Don't stab anyone(I'm actually saying this to myself...). They are probably going to have all the positions filled by the end of Feb.

I just got the confirmed news: the Geometry group was done, so if you haven't heard anything, then you should forget about SMALL. I didn't get an offer (2nd time), and I really wonder how to get into this group, considering that I have two publications when applying this year, one of them was on "Involve" (co-author with another prof.), the journal in which the professor being in charge of this group is the editor:P

Anyway, anybody hears back from the Combinatorics REU program at UMN?

ghjk said:
I just got the confirmed news: the Geometry group was done, so if you haven't heard anything, then you should forget about SMALL. I didn't get an offer (2nd time), and I really wonder how to get into this group, considering that I have two publications when applying this year, one of them was on "Involve" (co-author with another prof.), the journal in which the professor being in charge of this group is the editor:P

Anyway, anybody hears back from the Combinatorics REU program at UMN?

Oh I actually heard back from the group I was interested in but it was bad news. Are you a sophomore? If yes, then you can probably get in next year.
I actually don't know why a math journal would be called "Involve", as I don't understand why a mathematical object would called an 'ideal'. :yuck:

R.P.F. said:
I actually don't know why a math journal would be called "Involve", as I don't understand why a mathematical object would called an 'ideal'. :yuck:

It's because this journal requires a verified interactions between a professor and a student when writing up the paper(the student basically has to write a paper under the guidance of his/her professor in order to get the paper published). However, the editorial boards include many good mathematicians, so you should check it out for reference.

Regards to Small: Yes, I'm a sophomore but I will likely graduate next year, so this was my last shot. In fact, I don't even believe I can get in if I re-apply, since my profile won't change much compared to what it is right now (maybe 1 or 2 more publications on well-known journals and some graduate courses). Admittedly, this program is too tough for me to get in:)

Just got accepted by UMN Minneapolis REU! Have to get back to them by next Wed, I think. I'm still waiting on SMALL Combinatorics group though. Did anyone apply to that group?

Just got accepted for SMALL's probability and number theory! :) I am probably going to accept. They want to know by Friday morning. Good luck to everyone else!

t3ss said:
Just got accepted by UMN Minneapolis REU! Have to get back to them by next Wed, I think. I'm still waiting on SMALL Combinatorics group though. Did anyone apply to that group?

Congratulations! May you mind sharing with me your mathematical backgrounds(upper level courses, awards,etc)? Are u a junior btw?

Just letting you guys know that I got accepted to UCLA RIPS today (by phone), so they must have started looking through applications. Good luck to any other applicants!

<h2>1. When will decisions be made for the Math REUs 2012?</h2><p>Decisions for the Math REUs 2012 are typically made in late spring or early summer. The exact date may vary depending on the specific REU program, so it is best to check with the program directly for more information.</p><h2>2. How will I be notified of the decision?</h2><p>Most REU programs will notify applicants of their decision via email or through their online application portal. Be sure to check your email regularly and keep an eye on the program's website for updates.</p><h2>3. What factors are considered when making decisions for the Math REUs 2012?</h2><p>Each REU program may have different criteria for selecting participants, but common factors include academic achievement, letters of recommendation, and research interests that align with the program's focus.</p><h2>4. Is it possible to appeal a decision?</h2><p>It is not common for REU programs to allow appeals of their decisions. However, if you believe there was a mistake or error in the decision-making process, you can reach out to the program directly to inquire about their appeal process.</p><h2>5. If I am not accepted, can I reapply for the Math REUs in the future?</h2><p>Yes, you are welcome to reapply for the Math REUs in the future. Keep in mind that each year's application process is competitive, so it is important to continue building your academic and research experience to strengthen your application.</p>

1. When will decisions be made for the Math REUs 2012?

Decisions for the Math REUs 2012 are typically made in late spring or early summer. The exact date may vary depending on the specific REU program, so it is best to check with the program directly for more information.

2. How will I be notified of the decision?

Most REU programs will notify applicants of their decision via email or through their online application portal. Be sure to check your email regularly and keep an eye on the program's website for updates.

3. What factors are considered when making decisions for the Math REUs 2012?

Each REU program may have different criteria for selecting participants, but common factors include academic achievement, letters of recommendation, and research interests that align with the program's focus.

4. Is it possible to appeal a decision?

It is not common for REU programs to allow appeals of their decisions. However, if you believe there was a mistake or error in the decision-making process, you can reach out to the program directly to inquire about their appeal process.

5. If I am not accepted, can I reapply for the Math REUs in the future?

Yes, you are welcome to reapply for the Math REUs in the future. Keep in mind that each year's application process is competitive, so it is important to continue building your academic and research experience to strengthen your application.